D&D (2024) How will the 5.5e Core Book & in general deal with MtG settings?

Several none MtG books for D&D have mentioned MtG settings, especially Fizban's, and I suspect that will also be true for Bigsbys Giant book too (Kaldheim and Eldraine especially). So will the the new core books mention MtG settings in passing like it appears these books do so far classic D&D settings?

And in general how will 5.5e handle MtG settings i general?

And could the Phyrexian Arc for MtG end up linking D&D & MtG multiverses together in preparation for 5.5e in 2024?

D1Tremere

Adventurer
Several none MtG books for D&D have mentioned MtG settings, especially Fizban's, and I suspect that will also be true for Bigsbys Giant book too (Kaldheim and Eldraine especially). So will the the new core books mention MtG settings in passing like it appears these books do so far classic D&D settings?

And in general how will 5.5e handle MtG settings i general?

And could the Phyrexian Arc for MtG end up linking D&D & MtG multiverses together in preparation for 5.5e in 2024?
I Imagine not even the D&D creative design team know the answer to this yet, though I think they are likely to continue supporting MtG D&D settings going forward due to the popularity of the products they have so far released.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would guess we'll have our answer in the Planescape books. Maybe in a sidebar, maybe just in a "throwaway" line that says there are other multiverses out there, beyond the Great Wheel, and people known as "planeswalkers" know how to travel between them.

That said, I wouldn't hate it if we got even a full page with a page-sized illustration facing it, connecting the two multiverses and maybe hinting at more.

Haplo781

Legend
Phyrexians are supposedly deploying something called the Planebreaker which will physically connect all the planes and allow anyone to cross. It's been compared to the World Tree from Norse mythology.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Magic The Gathering settings belong to D&D like any other setting, including Eberron and Ravenloft, and homebrew.

Indeed, for the sake of homebrew, I want the core rules to be a setting agnostic as possible.

Ideally, the Forgotten Realms setting becomes a core rulebook that is separate from the Players Handbook.

The Players Handbook can have the Human race only, with a note that the DM can include one or more other races as well. The only default setting is popular notions of "medievalesque" and magic exists.

Then the Forgotten Realms Guide has a freedom to detail the beloved D&D races like Elf, Tiefling, and Dragonborn, in ways appropriate within the narrative context of Forgotten Realms and the multiverse that is peculariar to it.

What happens in Forgotten Realms, stays in Forgotten Realms. Unless a DM wants to import something from there into a separate setting. Samething for what happens in a Magic the Gathering setting.

Phyrexians are supposedly deploying something called the Planebreaker which will physically connect all the planes and allow anyone to cross. It's been compared to the World Tree from Norse mythology.

That's not really a spoiler that this point, Realmbreaker, in sapling form, got revealed at the end of the last short story, and art for next years sets showed Realmbreaker using portals so its branches or roots are able to enter Kamigawa, Theros, and Zendikar, with Phyrexians & their oil, hitching a ride when Realmbreaker's limbs enter a plane.

They also said something along the lines that the Phyrexian invasion will change the nature of the MtG multiverse.

So it's strongly possible Realmbreaker goes further and goes past the Blind Eternities and breaches into say the Forgotten Realms. They said they would merge the settings if they found a cool way to do so. This is likely it.

It's 75% of what got me creating this thread. The other 25% is a mix of realizing that 5.5e would just in general want to support it's existing and forth coming mtg setting books, this time right in the core, and that there might be a host of other reasons we don't know about yet, that requires this.

Remove ads