D&D 5E How will the playtest of D&D next go at XP?

enrious

The only reasonable reason that I can think of for the NDA is to stem some of the "OMG THESE RULES ARE TEH SUCK!!!!!" that are going to come. There may be some game mechanics they want to hammer out before the public and the "haters" get their hands on them.

Yes, but by having unreliable leaks (and likely incomplete) they could very well be doing that, but in a way that won't let them respond.

In other words, they have set it up so they can't really comment on leaked NDA stuff, without losing credibility, but if it were open then they could - and it would be expected of them.

So no, still trying to see what angle they're trying for except for PR - and that's a risk I wouldn't take.

Reynard

Legend
I hope every single person that plays the playtest --as soon as it is over -- goes and blogs their experiences. I hope they steal character sheets and scan them in. I hope the DMs upload the adventure. I hope someone uses a high tech gadget -- like, say, an iPhone -- to livecast the actual game.

Having a public playtest at a major con with thousands of attendees, and then trying to NDA it is either a) the peak of stupidity, or b) an egregious insult to our intelligence by the so-called marketing department.

If I was able to go, I'd do it myself.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I hope every single person that plays the playtest --as soon as it is over -- goes and blogs their experiences. I hope they steal character sheets and scan them in. I hope the DMs upload the adventure. I hope someone uses a high tech gadget -- like, say, an iPhone -- to livecast the actual game.

This will happen to one degree or another, as I'm sure Wizards knows full well.

Actually, I assume they're hoping playtesters will leak sporadic reports---the community frantically hitting F5 for the latest blurry scans and samizdat is far more engaging than a prosaic document dump, IMHO.

Reynard

Legend
Wormwood said:
This will happen to one degree or another, as I'm sure Wizards knows full well.

Actually, I assume they're hoping playtesters will leak sporadic reports---the community frantically hitting F5 for the latest blurry scans and samizdat is far more engaging than a prosaic document dump, IMHO.

So Option #2 then: they are insulting our intelligence.

Remove ads