• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will you read the core books day one?

Ander00

First Post
I'll read the relevant sections for my dragonborn warlord first, then peruse the rest of the PHB in some fashion. I'm not getting the DMG and MM at this time, as I probably won't DM for a while and want there to be some surprises left, at least until I do.

cheers

I have no scheduled adventure to run, so I'm in no rush to see the DMG or MM, except for maybe the MM appendix (though I'm thinking we won't be allowed to use those races for PC in our first game).

So I'm just going to chew through the PHB, probably starting with the Cleric, Deities, Feats and then probably to the rules until I read the whole thing.

habaal

First Post
I'll probably start by generating 3 complete characters:
One Mid-Heroic (lvl 6)
One Mid-Paragon (lvl 16)
One Mid-Epic (lvl 26).

That way, by not skipping anything (including complete level-appropriate treasure, spells, skills, paths, etc) I will learn most of what I'll need to play.

I've never read the 3.x DMG, but that new one has good stuff to offer...

But I can't resist to view the MM art and some of my favorite monsters (Mind Fleyer, Slaad, Displacer Beast :cool: )

Evening,
HaBaal.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
Open the PH first, and excitedly skip from section to section like an overcaffeinated 8 year old with ADHD. I'll probably start by looking at the classes I want to play, but before I finish reading the powers I'll probably skip to the feats section, and then to rituals, maybe magic items, and back to the classes. Repeat. At some point, I'll probably force myself to read through the combat and rules section of the PHB.

Meanwhile, I'll probably skip through the MM for the monsters I like thematically, plus whatever else catches my eye. The DMG will probably be last, and I'll probably read the sections that interest me, rather than reading cover to cover.

After reading through for a bit, I'll probably try to convert over some of my favorite characters, which range from 6th to 21st levelo. I'll only do the ones that can be converted, not the ones that require classes not in the PH, or ones which would require heavy house rules or custom-built paragon paths.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
1. Flip around to look at all the cool artwork
2. Read Warlord
3. Read Rogue
4. Look through the rest of the classes
5. Look at feats
6. Look at rituals
7. Jump to monster manual and look at lower level critters.
8. Go back to PHB and jump around equipment, magic items, etc
9. Bounce around looking at other interesting stuff.
10. Read combat chapter in PHB.

I don't expect I'll read any book cover to cover, though I'm sure I'll pay very close attention to any game mechanics related sections.

Rechan

Adventurer
First things first: The MM. Check out that bad boy's table of contents, then any choice monsters.

Next: PHB classes, choice classes first.

Finally the DMG, to check out the templates and traps/hazards.

Then it's whatever catches my interest.

habaal

First Post
Xefas said:
I read a D&D book like I make love to a woman: Until their spine breaks.

Man, you creep me out ;)

I probably won't be able to get a hold on them cores before july (Damm slow Amazon shipping rates to Israel!), but I have my plans...

(my sister: "When will we get to America? I'm tired..."
me: "Shut up and keep swimming!")

Flip through MM and DMG.
Read PH straight through.
Flip through MM and read a few monsters here and there.
Read DMG in pieces - what interested me.
Flip through MM again
Finish DMG
Flip though MM again
Read PH cover to cover again
Flip through MM again.
Read DMG straight through in skim mode.

Build a character.

I can read rulesbooks in the same way I read a novel - completely through word for word. And I don't like to really work on a character until I've internalized the basics well. I don't run until I have the rules pretty much memorized. 3.0 took me about 3 ro 4 weeks before I was ready to run something.

MindWanderer

First Post
If I get them before D&D Game Day (unlikely), I'll whip up two characters to use for it before I read anything straight through. Depending on the state of the PrRC at that point, I might then skip to the sections containing my big unanswered questions (like Half-Elf stat mods and racial feat selection, whether warlocks are screwed with power selection based on their pact, and if it's possible to create a viable paladin with a crappy Str). Then I'll read the PHB and DMG cover to cover. Last is the MM; I'll skim most of it, but pay close attention to level 1-6 monsters and level 24+ elite and solo monsters for use in planning my first campaign.

Remove ads