D&D 5E How WotC will approach the campaign settings?

graves3141

First Post
Jeremy Crawford said that the core setting isn’t the Realms. The core setting is the multiverse.

This tweet probably explains why we have not seen a Forgotten Realms or another campaign setting. I think they plan to produce something different from what we are used to, but I cannot still understand what format this will have.

I see Crawford's comment about the multiverse as a catchall statement that may not really mean much. I think it's just a way to say that WotC plans to publish adventures in a variety of settings over the next few years... this year, it's been the Realms so far. The one after Princes of the Apocalypse might be in the Realms too but, if it is, I'm guessing it will be the last one before they switch to another setting like Dragonlance or maybe Greyahwk.

If we're really lucky, we might get a campaign setting for each world but probably only after all the adventures for that setting have come out (seems like a backwards way to do it but that would give them the opportunity to "update" the setting based on all the adventure material that they publish).

There is the bleak but very real possibility that they may not publish any setting material. I really hope that they do but the whole light release schedule thing and the lack of communication about future products has me a little worried.

graves3141

First Post
I've had a queasy feeling since the Eberron conversion guide was released. It seemed... lacking, somehow. More of a technical appeasement that something done with care and interest. Who knows? Maybe just giving it to a layout person, rather than it looking like Mike whipped something out of Word, over lunch, would have made all the difference.

Agreed, the Eberron update does look like it got typed up in a hurry without the slightest thought to presentation. I'm glad they put it out there but the way it looks doesn't inspire me with confidence that WotC will eventually take the time to produce a campaign book on any setting over the next year or two.

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'm still confused by them setting the adventure paths in the Realms without updating the setting first.

graves3141: I've been thinking much the same thing.

Nellisir

Hero
I don't believe we'll see any campaign settings for quite a while, because any setting you may want you can buy off of dndclassics.com

The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting hardcover (for 3e) is 14 years old. It goes for $16 (+shipping) used on Amazon, or $60 new. I just don't think it's a smart move for WotC to shunt customers to a pdf version of 14 year-old book that's 2 editions old as the authoritative guide to their premiere setting.

I realize I'm an old fart and my opinion doesn't count, but I hate reading pdfs. I have tons of them, and barely read any of them.

graves3141

First Post
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting hardcover (for 3e) is 14 years old. It goes for $16 (+shipping) used on Amazon, or $60 new. I just don't think it's a smart move for WotC to shunt customers to a pdf version of 14 year-old book that's 2 editions old as the authoritative guide to their premiere setting.

I realize I'm an old fart and my opinion doesn't count, but I hate reading pdfs. I have tons of them, and barely read any of them.

I feel the exact same way. Pdf's are not the same as a real book. They're great for quick reference but they have limitations.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

I would like to mention that the 3e FRCS is the best campaign setting book EVER published (imho).

And I have a homebrew world, and I still think its one of my best resources, and best laid out campaign setting.

Evenglare

Adventurer
How will they approach the settings? Apparently with a 5-7 white page document with no formatting if that Eberron document is any indication (which so far that's all we have to go on.)

Remove ads