D&D 5E How would YOU build Vecna?

Reynard

Legend
So as not to bog down the other thread.

How would go go about statting out Vecna for your 5E game? What tools would you use to create the ultimate BBEG lich? How would your design address issues of solos, high level play, etc...?

Note I am not talking about how you would build the encounter/dungeon with Vecna, but how you would actually stat Vecna.

For my part, there are 3 core things that matter with any high level spellcasting enemy.
First: Vecna would have a handful of themed lichy "spell attacks" each a) doing damage, b) causing a condition, and c) on a "recovering recharge" (that is, the recharge number gets easier each round it doesn't succeed at recharging).
Second: Vecna would have defensive and movement based reactions designed to foil incoming attacks and attempts to pin him down. One of these reactions would be the equivalent of Legendary Resistance.
Third: He would have Legendary Actions that allow him to cast spells and use his spell attacks off turn. Note that the pool of Reactions and LAs would be combined at 5, so every time he uses a defensive Reaction that's one less potential LA, and vice versa.

(Note this is pretty much how I built Strahd for a con game and it worked GREAT.)

How would you build Vecna?

6 spells instead of 3 for 2/day and 1/day.

No spell on either of those list is under 5th level. If it is, it is cast with a minimum of a 6th level slot, but probably a 9th level slot instead.

Give him Mythic. When it triggers, he gains 3 legendary actions instead of 2 (since he has none normally).

Boost his hit points by +50. Just because.

Reynard

Legend
6 spells instead of 3 for 2/day and 1/day.

No spell on either of those list is under 5th level. If it is, it is cast with a minimum of a 6th level slot, but probably a 9th level slot instead.

Give him Mythic. When it triggers, he gains 3 legendary actions instead of 2 (since he has none normally).

Boost his hit points by +50. Just because.
I forgot about Mythic. In my build above I think I would make it so he no longer has recharge on any of his abilities.

I use the warlock idea a lot... I take 6-8 cool offensive/defensive spells upp cast them all to 9th for him, and give him 3-4 castings. I would then give him 3-5 special unque attack/actions and make him mythic...

Hmm depends but mostly I would make shadows of Vecna the primary stat block. leave him closer to archdevil where they are so powerful you won't see an actual block. That means each shadow can be molded for a specific task.

Hmm depends but mostly I would make shadows of Vecna the primary stat block and leave him closer to archdevil where they are so powerful you won't see an actual block. That means each shadow can be molded for a specific task.
yeah building those lair actions form the adventure in is a BIG improvement

Hmm depends but mostly I would make shadows of Vecna the primary stat block. leave him closer to archdevil where they are so powerful you won't see an actual block. That means each shadow can be molded for a specific task.
This is fun! I mean, Vecna probably knows the clone spell. With the Book of Vile Darkness, a clone that makes a negative-shadow version of you under your control that Vecna then modifies into some abominable purpose is pretty slick, actually.

Far more spells, especially useful ones. Spell slots so some can be upcast. That means 8th and 9th level spell slots.
Cantrips, like Prestidigitation...unless Venca plans on opening a dry cleaning service, why is this even on the list?
Venca of course adds his prof bonus to ALL saves. Utterly ridiculous that a CR 26 has a +2 to Str saves, or a +2 to ANY saves.

Vecna should be something an entire conclave of 20th level clerics, paladins, and wizards should have to work together to cleanse the world of for a period of time.

Remove ads