How would you handle this player/situation? (long-ish)

BSF

Explorer
Whew - I ended up just skimming some of the posts. I figure anything I repeat is just reiteration.

Key points
- Player is new
- Player wants to play a Samurai
- Player likes dragons, wants to play half-dragon
- PC is getting pounded in combat
- Player has problems with Code of Bushido

Possibly Relevant Points
- Player wants to play a "tank"
- Player plays CRPG's

In the key points, we have a new player. This is great! It is always fun to bring a new player into the fold. However, the player is also a CRPG player and may have pre-existing assumptions based on that environment. So, this isn't like having a completely new player. You need to keep this in mind and try to help the player discard these assumptions.

The half-dragon template is cool and I can see some appeal to it for a player. However, we are dealing with a new player and the LA is a tough hit when you have encounters scaled to a number of non-LA PC's. While the character concept is still viable, it does require a bit more careful thought when playing as oppossed to a commensurate level fighter or barbarian. The Player has to know when to stand back and use the breath weapon rather than charging to the fore, etc. The bottom line is the template adds more options at a cost and the player has to be able to use those options effectively.

The player wants to play a Samurai, but does not like the Code of Bushido. *Bing* This is a big problem since the two issues are directly in contrast to each other. If the Player wants to play a Samurai, the Code of Bushido is the defining characteristic. For any character that has a stringent code, I very highly suggest that you and the player write it out ahead of time. One of my players, Macbeth, plays a Psychic Samurai, Dang fun character. He has his Code written out for reference, if he needs it. I'll see if he would be kind enough to pop in here and post it. Maybe your Player can use it? But, if he doesn't like the Code, then tell him he cannot be a Samurai. The Samurai is a concept, not a kit, or even a class. Though, there are Samurai classes in Sword & Fist, Oriental Adventures, and the Complete Warrior.

As I see it, a lot of communication is going to have to happen here to meet all the player's goals. OK, he likes dragons. That's cool. If you have the Dragonomicon, consider the Draconic template as oppossed to the Half-Dragon. Draconic creatures get a little boost, but not the same as the Half-dragon. Consider it to be similar to planetouched creatures, somewhere in the PC's lineage, there was dragon blood introduced. It is a +1 LA, if I recall correctly. This gives the Player a bit of the draconic influence he might want, without the huge LA penalty. It also reduces the templated options such as a breath weapon.

If the player is really jazzed up about a half-dragon, there is going to be a period of time where the player has to realize that LA is there to create "balance" against the other PC's. Being a half-dragon has good RP potential and you need to play that up to differentiate yourself from other PC's. You cannot rely on stats/abilities alone. This period might be annoying to the group.

The Samurai thing is something that the Player really needs to figure out. You either do the Code of Bushido and you are a Samurai, or you don't and you aren't. If the player likes the concept of the Samurai, but cannot play under the Code, then consider having the PC be a former Samurai. He can have that as part of his background, but he has fallen from his Code and is dishonored. Turn his self-preservationism into a character background element. This gives you the benefit of story hooks. Maybe there are a few true Samurai out there that are looking to clear the besmirchment to their Code and want to eliminate the PC.

If the Player is big on the self-preservation, and is willing to give up the Samurai concept, perhaps a ranged weapon combatant would work. It would be possible to have a 20+ strength with a templated 8th level character, so handwave the +4 max strength bonus for a Mighty Composite Longbow. Let it be up to a +5 bonus, or make a magic weapon that the PC has that allows a higher bonus. This allows the lower HP to be less of an issue and the PC can stand at the back of combat while dealing out big damage.

The key is to try to have something fun for the player without negatively impacting the fun for everyone else around the table, including yours. Remind the Player that you run the game to have fun and you aren't having as much fun watching him play out of character and getting his butt whupped. Something needs to improve so everyone is having fun. His character concept is nifty, but it doesn't sound like he _really_ wants to play a half-dragon samurai.

Destil

Explorer
Planesdragon said:
5d10 + 10 (assuming he had a measly 12 base CON). Ok, 46 hp isn't that bad. (Average HP, 10 + 5.5*4 + 10 = 42)
Shouldn't the half-dragon template increase his HD by one step to d12s, as well?

S'mon

Legend
SweeneyTodd said:
I think that it's really worth pushing what S'mon and some others said -- let the guy have the "Samurai with draconic heritage" fluff along with some sort of straight-up character build (human fighter, for instance).

Push! Push! :)

I do feel strongly about this. If the player wants Samurai-type abilities without a Code, then playing a fallen/honourless Samurai sounds right - either use standard Fighter or modify the class a bit so it's of the same power level. If the player wants draconic abilities, some _minor_ templating like the +1 ECL Draconic template mentioned sounds like the way to go. Maybe you could even 'rebuild' the existing PC to fit, I do this sometimes (a Wizard once became a Sorcerer mid-game IMC!) :) - the player should have a chance to play a PC that fits his concept* as closely as possible, of course without overshadowing the other PCs.

*Assuming the concept fits your campaign flavour (I don't even allow gnomes or halflings myself!) but this doesn't seem a problem here.

Black_Swan

First Post
Hmm..you know his character conceptually sounds really cool.

I just think that this guy isn't being helped the way he should be. First time players should really be guided as much as possible.

When you setup the first few combats the whole party should be making suggestions and attempting to help any newbie players in the group.

Also...just because he's a samurai doesn't mean that he has to intentionally keep himself in a battle that will cost him his life.

He has been assigned by his lord to fulfill a quest. Dying to a group of goblin clerics would certainly cut that quest short and do nothing for his lords interests, which should be his main concern.

Anyway...I think he just needs some help is all.

Starting out at level one and working to the type of character he'd like to be sounds like a really good idea.

Not only does he get to establish his character but it gives him time to learn the rules of D&D.

argo

First Post
boxstop7 said:
He said last night that he likes the Samurai class, but doesn't like the bushido. He's basically playing his character as he, the player, would react to things....."Though I tend to agree with the code in principle, it's the tactics I have a problem with." I take that last statement to be pure powergame; i.e., I want all the perks but I don't want to give anything up for them. So I told him that, if that's the case, maybe a Samurai isn't the right class for him b/c I'm not in the habit of giving things away for free.

What samurai class are you using? I am familar with the OA Samurai and IMHO that class is not that much more powerful than a fighter that you would be "giving things away for free" if your player were to play a little fast and loose with bushido. Maybe you should consider easing up on the Code. As others have pointed out a samurai is not obligated to make every fight a "victory or death" scenario, if he did there wouldn't be that many samurai left. The most important bits ought to be obedience to his lord and safguarding his personal honor. Whatever you do decide though you definetly need to get it down in writing and work it out with the player right now.

And you absouetly need to tell him he can't have the half-dragon template. That +3 LA is a killer. Maybe suggest he work towards the Dragon Desciple PrC as a way of "reawakening his dragon heritage" or if he is really dead set on having a template find or invent one that is +1 LA (lose the breath weapon for example). He seems really keen on the concept so you as the DM ought to try to find a way to make it work.

In short I vote that you cut him a little slack. He may have the heart of a powergamer but, at least as things stand right now, he sure doesn't seem to have the skills of a powergamer. This is his first pnp game, do what you can to help him have a good time and worry about balance when he makes his second character.

Last edited:

Hemlock Stones

First Post
How To Make A Better Player

GREETINGS!

If somebody doesn't have a great body of gaming skills as it relates to participating in a role playing game. The simplistic solution is to have them play a basic character. Get familiar with game dynamics ie. interacting with the other characters, learning the nuances of what the DM does with the game, etc. Then allow them to grow/advance towards the more complex elements of playing a character ie/ advancing into a custom prestige class.

A new player can be guided into the growth of the character. The character has no inkling that they are a half/dragon. Allow them to gradually discover half-dragon abilities. Babies can't sprint much less walk when first born. Use the same approach.

The samurai and bushido issue gets complicated. My feeling is to have a ronin samurai join as an NPC and guide the samurai in the "Way". The player can then see by example what they should be doing. Another alternative is to task the character with a Clan quest. Most samurai clans when they weren't serving the needs of the emperor were doing things to better the name of their clan. A structured quest involving the more important tenets of bushido might make for some great adventuring on a secondary story arc off of the main plot.

Klingons are one of the most easily misunderstood characters to role play. Applying the Klingon nature to any sort of character is rough from an individual basis. With a culture that recognizes what the Klingons stand for, portraying that type of character is much easier. Belligerent is the right word to describe a Klingon. Bushido philosophy may cross over in many places with the noble Klingon ideal. Yet the Samurai bushido attitude is duty and honor. I can see those being associated with Klingon ideals, yet not the major focal point. Integrating Klingon nature into this character is tough for somebody new to gaming.

So Sayeth the Bone Daddy

Krellic

Explorer
I pretty much allow players to play what they like so I sympathise with the DM in this case.

I've had similar experiences with these high ECL races. I run a game that involoves 10-11 year olds and one of them is really into exotic types. He's run a half-dragon, which didn't last long. I started the latest game at L4 and he went for a avorial (sp?) winged elf. Needless to say as a L1 Ranger he had some fun flying and tracking up until the point they went indoors and had to do some fighting.

I'd suggest that your player's character will probably die when things get going, without you having to worry about it. Next time you suggest he plays something different.

Possibly you should agree and write down a simplified form of 'Bushido' for him to role-play. The Klingon thing is OK as long as you're both singing off the same hymn sheet. It doesn't have to be more than the 'Three Rules of Kahless" so to speak. Get him to justify his actions in character even if it makes for a cookie-cutter characrter.

Hopefully as it goes on he'll start to appreciate the fun in role-playing.

Remove ads