D&D 5E How would you make a character who uses a shield like Captain America?

Bawylie

A very OK person
I agree with everyone who says just to treat it like a spear.

But if that doesn’t work, consider a battle master maneuver specifically for the shield throw. If you have additional attacks, it can ricochet between opponents. If all the attacks hit, it bounces back to you, but if any miss, you’ll have to go retrieve it. You get the extra damage from the battle master die and maybe keep the shield bonus to AC for using the maneuver.

Ace

Adventurer
As Toungez shows , Tulok the Bardbarian does a decent Cap build for 5e

Be aware he likes to reflavor abilities to suit his builds needs but they are WOTC only and usually use the standard array.

He's a very creative builds guy.

Iry

Hero
Tavern Brawler + Returning Shield.
I've got no problem putting Returning on a Shield, if that's what the player really wants.

Last edited:

Sithlord

Adventurer
Okay, so I love the whole Marvel cinematic universe, and the Cap movies are among my favorites, but it's always bugged the heck out of me...

How do you hit someone harder--or at all--with a metal that absorbs impact?!?! :-S

Ahem. Sorry.
It has to do with the way the shield spins. If its spinning its will deflect rather than absorb. Sounds good to me 😉

FarBeyondC

Explorer
If a player wanted a 1st-level fighter or paladin of any race who could wield a shield just like Captain America, how should I, as DM, go about doing it?

Would the best way be to create a new type of (martial?) weapon based on stats from another weapon that does comparable bashing damage?

Would a feat be the right way to do it? I looked at Shield Mastery, but it doesn't do much in the way of having a shield be used for melee or ranged attacks the way Captain America does.

Easiest way to me would be to make a fighting style that gave the character proficiency in using shields as a weapon (I'd make it a simple melee weapon with the thrown property that deals 1d6 bludgeoning on a hit). Depending on how generous I'm feeling, I'd also either allow the fighting style to let the shield return after each attack or allow weapons to be enchanted with a returning property.

ECMO3

Hero
I think that is pretty easy and supported in RAW (although not at 1st level). Shield is an improvised weapon so shield master and tavern brawler feats should do it. Then just figure out what you want for damage, probably 1d8. That would handle everything except returning

For the returning I would do a custom battlemaster maneuver-before you throw a weapon you can use a superiority dice to return it to your hand visa a roccochet or boomerang effect. You deal 1d6 damage extra if it hits. With a V human fighter you can have all this at level 4.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Single houserule on the DM's part: Let the shield be treated as a melee and missile weapon when/but "thrown." Allow the character to take any/all relevnt feats available to archers/missile weapon persons: trick shot, point blank shot, bank shot around a corner, "multi shot" gets reskinned to be striking multiple targets on a single throw, etc... The fighter advances as the fighter does. Choosing feats where appropriate...they just get to treat the "thrown shield" as a missile weapon instead of a thrown one.

Remove ads