• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would you make dragonborn decended from Tiamat?

Thateous

Explorer
Looking to make a dragonborn army who decended directly from Tiamat.
1. Any ideas come to mind of how you might accomplish this?

2. Has this been done before somewhere?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ganymede81

First Post
What you're describing is basically the plot of half the Dragonlance novels.

There, agents of Tiamat (known as Takhisis in Krynn) stole good aligned dragon eggs and corrupted them so that they produced evil metallic dragonborn known as draconians.

Green1

First Post
Not just Dragon Lance.

I can not quote the source, but I do remember reading somewhere that Tiamat kept dragonborn and half dragon servants in her divine domain at the gateway between the first and second layers of the Nine Hells.

The PC could have traveled to Dis on an errand for the servant order and ended up planeshifted.

Of course, stories of gods and goddesses having dalliances with mortals are common in myth.

I am all for cool backstories. My only concern would be a player trying to trojan horse in a demigod. Of course, Tiamat is not known for being a very caring goddess and probably has little interest in her offspring. And, while the dragonborn may have potential for greatness, demigodhood is 20 levels and a few epic boons way down the road. Even Hercules, son of Zeus, had to start somewhere. That is, unless you are running epic level. Then, by all means, give the dragonborn a temple he or she can see and hear in their mind, max hit die and a cell phone with mommy's number. Mommy's busy, though on a few hundred prime worlds and has thousands of unappreciative winy brats over the eons, so even as a demigod, dragonborn offspring is on their own. She may even spank the offspring for being weak and calling her too much.

Have fun!

Azurewraith

Explorer
Pretty much just change the chromatic dragon options in the phb to metallic counter parts. The other guys have covered your fluff reasoning.

ccs

41st lv DM
Not just Dragon Lance.

I can not quote the source, but I do remember reading somewhere that Tiamat kept dragonborn and half dragon servants in her divine domain at the gateway between the first and second layers of the Nine Hells.

The PC could have traveled to Dis on an errand for the servant order and ended up planeshifted.

Of course, stories of gods and goddesses having dalliances with mortals are common in myth.

I am all for cool backstories. My only concern would be a player trying to trojan horse in a demigod. Of course, Tiamat is not known for being a very caring goddess and probably has little interest in her offspring. And, while the dragonborn may have potential for greatness, demigodhood is 20 levels and a few epic boons way down the road. Even Hercules, son of Zeus, had to start somewhere. That is, unless you are running epic level. Then, by all means, give the dragonborn a temple he or she can see and hear in their mind, max hit die and a cell phone with mommy's number. Mommy's busy, though on a few hundred prime worlds and has thousands of unappreciative winy brats over the eons, so even as a demigod, dragonborn offspring is on their own. She may even spank the offspring for being weak and calling her too much.

Have fun!

You do know that there can be more links in the descent chain than just PARENT ---> CHILD, right?

Isn't Tiamat chromatic, with a head of many colours (she looks handsome, she looks smart, etc)? In which case the chromatic dragonborn traits work just fine. Just give the PC a holier than thou attitude. And maybe stripes. If you want to throw them a bone they can maybe have 2 or 3 breath effects but they work mechanically the same as other dragonborn in terms of uses, but they can choose which effect to deploy each time.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Something like this I imagine

maxresdefault.jpg

Remove ads