D&D 5E How Would You Run a Game with 5 Mins Prep Time

Possibly not that helpful in a D&D forum, but if I were running a D&D game with 5 minutes prep, I'd consider running it in the Dungeon World system.

As for the setting, I'm a big fan of the "Three Whys" strategy. Make a statement about the setting, then ask "why" three times.

For example. "PCs have to clear a mine of a goblin infestation".
Why? Goblins moved in recently, and the mine is no longer producing gold for its owner.
Why? The owner stiffed the goblins on a deal and they took his mine as leverage.
Why? They want their money. If they get it, they'll consider leaving the mine alone.

Now you have a plot, a couple of complications, and the option of resolving it peacefully or violently.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I turn to the appendix in the DMG and start with a random dungeon. I also have some random encounter tables to go with it.

Random fun FTW! :)

surfarcher

First Post
I did this a week ago today.

Here's how I ran it...
  1. Tell players to roll up PCs or find pregens.
  2. Pull up a few spreadsheets on my laptop (mainly my encounter building one) and punch in the PC levels.
  3. Grab an adventure I'm familiar with (but haven't run) off the shelf and skim the intro.
  4. Read the first part of the opening scenario.
  5. Play.

What I've done before...
  1. Ask the players where they want to play, or just decide myself if they don't know.
  2. Crank up my encounter spreadsheet.
  3. Get notepad and pen.
  4. Just run it. Take plenty of notes.

A few years ago I would also have grabbed my hardcopies of Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game and Eureka: 501 Adventure Plots to Inspire Game Masters. I rarely bother nowadays.

ccs

41st lv DM
Zero minutes of prep: There's a few modules from Basic/1e that I know so well that I don't even need to open the book to run. Or to riff off of...

1+ minutes of prep: Beyond that? There's more than enough random D&D ideas floating around in my head to string something together in the space of time it takes to create a character.

More importantly the player(s) will often supply me with everything I really need. All I have to do is listen to them, ask a few questions in response & add in a monster or two.
The last game I ran off the cuff like this resulted in a very Gamma World style adventure:
It was run spur of the moment at the shop to teach several complete new players the basics of D&D. It used the 6 stats rolled in order on 3d6, fighters/thieves/wizards/clerics, Humans/Elves/Dwarves/halflings & THAC0:20, everyone was 1st lv - essentially 1980 BASIC - but without even the rulebook as the session was 100% unplanned.
Casting spells - just tell me what you want to have happen. Roll under your INT. The more you succeed by, the closer to the desired effect you'll come. Roll over & the spell fails. Roll a 20 & the spell goes wrong.
* = details provided by the player(s)/spectators
^ = details provided by me
Dan, a neo-Russian soldier (fighter)* {armed with a rifle (type never determined), only 10 rounds of ammo, a dagger, a halberd, a breast plate & backpack full of gear (most never determined except rations/torches & a crowbar)}* was on a quest to find (and loot?) The Tomb of Obama*.
Late in the afternoon he entered the ruined city* of Mazlon*. An int check revealed that he'd heard that the people who'd once lived here had worshipped TIGERS!* And that to this day the beasts still prowled the area^....
So Dan set about searching some of the ruined buildings for supplies, a safe resting place, etc*. All the while keeping a an eye out for tigers.*
Moving down what seemed to have been the main street, Dan passes a perception check & hears a scream from up ahead.... Going to investigate, using rusting out cars* as cover, he sees a pack of trident wielding Tazloi^ dragging someone into a ruined store front^. This won't end well for the victim.... So Dan sneaks in after them, ambushes those he finds still upstairs & uses up 1/2 his ammo mowing down the rest in the basement as they were preparing to eat the Elf wizard* they'd caught.
Now there's two players!

They flee before more tazloi show up.*
In their haste to get out of there they aren't particularly careful & thus fail a perception check several blocks away - and are pounced upon by a giant orange furred cat. The locals were right, there are still tigers in this area!
Fighting for their lives vs the tiger in the middle of the street is a very noisy flashy affair & a sword wielding dwarf - with 3 arms - runs out of an ally-way to help them* (another player has entered the game)

Finishing the tiger uses up the time remaining. So the dwarf leads them back to his basement bunker* to hide/rest.

Neo-Russian soldiers? 3 armed dwarves? Fighting tigers in the middle of the street amongst ruined cars? While searching for Obamas tomb? WTH?? Eh, I don't know. That's what the players came up with. Me? I just added simple rules, some connective tissue & a few Tazloi.... Everyone had about 90 minutes of fun & 3 new (RPG)gamers were made.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If someone wants to play D&D with 15 minutes of prep time:

Do they know the game system? If so, I have the bulk of te adventure "Horror on the Hill" memorized to the point where I've run it with not stats other than a monster manual and my brain before.

If ey don't know D&D, I would probably grab a copy of Microlite20 for characters - I can literally teach someone to make characters with that and how to machanically run them in 5 minutes.

If it's my regular group, and they want to play, I ask them, "what do you want to see? Roleplay? Hexploration? murderhoboing? And think about what whets that appetite, using both whims, and the power of "Say Yes" a lot.

One of my favorite exercises is the Round Robin DMing that a gent introduced me to at an ENWorld NC Gameday. It was both mentally exhausting, and one of the most fun sessions I ever had. Every player had a character, and every 30 minutes (clock timer) the next person around the table would DM, and their character became an NPC. Depending on the number of players, everyone got one or two turns. It was both glorious, and not soemthing I'd do every week.

Remove ads