D&D 5E How would you wish WOTC to do Dark Sun

Roman God of Broken Oaths and sometimes worshiped as a God of the Underworld in lieu of Hades or Dis Pater (especially in more rural areas, where Orcus's worship was more popular, he had no official temples in the cities). Believed to be a Roman adaptation of the Daemon Horkos from Greek Mythology, that existed to punish broken oaths.

The Roman name Orcus was the liturgical root of both the French word ogre (where we got our name for minor giants for D&D) and where Tolkien got the root for Orcs his works.

He's as real as the other beings in the same list that you listed and had no objection to like Mammon or Baphomet.
No, he isn't real. He's worshipped. NOT REAL. Did you read anything I just said?

There's a difference between a completely fictional deity that exists as a literary device (), and one that has real-world flesh-and-blood worshippers.

Many, or most, of the various historic pantheons that D&D has used for games have real world adherents and are real-world religions as well as being gaming setting elements.

The Japanese Pantheon? That's called Shinto.
The Vedic Pantheon? That's called Hinduism.
The Chinese Pantheon? That's Chinese Folk Religion, also known as Shenism.
The Norse Pantheon? That's called Asatru, also known as Heathernry.
The Olympian Pantheon? That's called Hellenism.
The Celtic Pantheon? That's Celtic Paganism.

Saint Cuthbert, the deity of common sense, truth, and wisdom from Greyhawk, is the same individual of St. Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, a 7th century Christian Saint (venerated in Catholic, Anglican and Orthodox Christianity).

. . .and real-world Satanists have used a number of the various names thrown about in D&D for names of demons and devils in their rituals and worship as well.
Uh... Christianity is centered on Jesus Christ.
Even Catholics, actual Catholics (not just people who call themselves Catholics and don't abide by Catholic doctrines) don't worship saints.
Ignorance is the enemy of truth.

God, this is stupid.
Stupid...
where do I start with this?
"I know real life people that worship X"
"Therefore, X is real"
What does that stem from?
"If something is believed, it is therefore true".
You need some lessons on logical fallacies.

"Appeal to Ignorance: Arguments that claim that since a proposition cannot be disproven, it must therefore be true or likely." -From the Art of Arguement, for 6th graders.
Told you you needed logic lessons.
While it would be no doubt amusing to simply hand you another spade and encourage you to keep digging, you should probably be aware that the context of the statement you seem to be riffing off was the existence of the god in real-world religions.
As in the god has its origins in a religion that real, actual people are still part of.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Whether or not a religious figure is real or not is your personal opinion.

Are you trying to attack people's religious beliefs?
Mod Note:
Folks,

Peoples real-world religious beliefs are not an appropriate discussion topic. So, we expect this segment of the discussion to end. Now. I hope that is clear. If it is not, please take it up with one of the moderators in PMs.

I'm sorry, are you arguing that all magical sky people aren't real or all magical sky people who aren't yours aren't real?
False dichotomy.
(Oranges are my religious figure! Therefore, its existence becomes a matter of opinion and when you say otherwise, you're attacking my beliefs!)

Last edited:

I agree, elementals - even Kossuth or the 4 Elemental Evil overlords - are not gods.
About a ton of Forgotten Realms AND Planescape books would say otherwise, very strongly.

Kossuth, Ishtishia, Grumbar, and Akadi all have the rank of Greater Power.

They're more than just elementals with lots of hit dice.

Remove ads