Howling Night: Temple of Hinotheus

SJRSamurai

First Post
Navigating your way through the Rannachio district you happen on a part of the planks that is quite clean. In front of you stands a squat and unassuming building made out of some type of grayish stone. You notice an symbol above a plain double wooden door, the symbol if the head of a wolf in flames.

You enter the temple in an area that you estimate to be some 20 feet by 20 feet. The room is dimly lit by torches, giving the area a shadowy orange glow, in the middle of the room is a stone altar where the man you saw at the inn is standing. Noticing you, he motions for you to sit on one of the stone benches that face the altar.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Nathan Tchanlach, human sorcerer

Nathan had never been comfortable in temples, and the dimly-lit stone of this one did little to settle his nerves. Still, work was work, and he hadn't himself burst into flames upon entering as his grandfather probably would have expected.

Seeing the man who had posted the work, Nathan moves to shake his hand and introduce himself, but as he nods to a seat silently, the young sorcerer pauses. Perhaps he'd come in the middle of some sort of blessing, and speaking would ruin it. Trying to put his best foot forward, then, Nathan uncharacteristically keeps his mouth shut and sits on the indicated bench trying his best not to fidget.

SJRSamurai

First Post
[sblock=Hinotheus: Common Knowledge in Venza] Hinotheus, The Flame Wolf, The Hunter of Darkness: Depicted as a large wolf made of flames, Hinotheus' origins have legends, one told by the population of Venza and the other by the halflings. First the one of Venza:

Dessano, bound by Akutu and knowing he could no longer serve as the protector that Venza needed, inspired his sons: Sapo and Farino formed a hound of cold iron. During its creation Sapo unintentionally cut his hand and divine blood mixed into the iron igniting it yet not consuming it in the divine fire that engulfed it. The two gifted the hound to Cortesia to serve as her guardian for the city. The hound, Hinotheus, born of blood and fire and metal from the soil upon which Venza is built is the spirit and protector of the city even more than Cortesia, its patron goddess, because Hinotheus walked the streets of the city protecting her poor and downtrodden while the gods were occupied with weightier matters. In time, Venza’s poorest citizens began worshiping Hinotheus as a god; his first temple is in Ranocchio district.

[sblock=DC10 religion check]And now Hinotheus' origins as the halfling tell it:

When the halflings came to their new home and built the beginnings of the city to come they discovered the land was already inhabited by an elusive spirit that manifested itself as a floating globe of fire. Attempts to communicate with the being failed and so they beseached their gods to aid them. Issolatha was newly lost in her madness and so Tanager intervened because he had come to care for the halflings he had been persuaded to protect. Tanager directed Elfiris to create a body from the earth and ignite it using the weapons he created for the Stormlords. The fiery wolf attracted the attention of the spirit and it inhabited the body to speak with Tanager. Tanager discovered it was a god of the halfling’s new land, aimlessly drifting about the home of its long dead worshipers. The two came to make a pact: the halfling became its new people and the being, Hinotheus, would become their protector.[/sblock]

The clergy of Hinotheus act as self-appointed protectors in Venza, specifically in the planks. They see protecting the people of Rannachio as their sacred duty, as such their reputation reflects on which side you find yourself, honest citizens praise them while dubbious one curses them [/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Darreo walks along quietly, since he is still a little unsure of his new companions. When the group arrives to the temple after Nathan he follows the man's silent command and goes over to sit down.

He puts his pack on the floor and his crossbow between his legs. He inspects the weapon for the hundredth time today to make sure it is loaded and ready. Wrinkling his nose he wishes Daylily would've sat on the other side of Nathan the smell was enough to gag a troglodyte.

He looks about not really knowing much about Hinotheus except he was suppose to be a big dog made of fire.

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Tahn Staful - Half-Elf Cleric 2

As he approaches the temple Tahn Staful slows his walk slightly to fall behind the others from the inn. He glances behind him to ensure that there are no stragglers before reaching up to undo the top few buttons of his long jacket. He touches a wooden oval and murmurs briefly before buttoning up his jacket to cover it again.
Stepping across the threshold he pauses to pass a professional eye over the design and materials. The simple design reminds him of his own sect's buildings and it puts him a little more at ease. Seeing his acquaintance Nathan already sitting he moves over to sit on the same bench.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC] Edited top block with intro. Also SJ you might want to take a look at the first blocks of a few LPF games. Your first post will go through several edits as the game progresses.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/297075-lpf-bats-belfry.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/299751-lpf-merchant-need-assistance.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/294843-sunken-temple.html

Also let me make sure [MENTION=92697]PolterGhost[/MENTION] and [MENTION=93930]Systole[/MENTION] know where this is now that Rel moved it for us. (thanks again Rel ;)) [/sblock]

SJRSamurai

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Edited top block with intro. Also SJ you might want to take a look at the first blocks of a few LPF games. Your first post will go through several edits as the game progresses.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/297075-lpf-bats-belfry.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/299751-lpf-merchant-need-assistance.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/294843-sunken-temple.html

Also let me make sure @PolterGhost and @Systole know where this is now that Rel moved it for us. (thanks again Rel ;)) [/sblock]

[sblock=occ]Sure no problem HM, but I was thinking that this thread would be the recruitment/OCC one and that I would do a formal one for the IC.

I'll be gone all day today and should be back to my usual quick posting self tomorrow, RL friend has girlfriend troubles, splitting up etc.

I'll wait for Daylily and Ember to post here before starting this, you guys might want to already plan up your level ups because I'm pretty sure the majority will level up during the course of the game.

On another note, I like things to keep a good pace as such I may push so that things go quicker, if you find that I'm rushing you too much please don't hesitate to tell me, I'll be happy to slow down a little. For the moment I'm not setting any delay before updating and I'll go with the feel, giving every PC his chance to be heard during the RP moments, during combat I'd like to be able to update daily, but realistically I'm setting the bar at once per 2 days for the moment.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Daylily had been impatient to get to the temple, and clearly frustrated that Tahn and Darreo wouldn't or couldn't move faster. More than once he'd muttered something in his thick elvish dialect under his breath.

Outside the temple, he comes to an abrupt stop and stares up at the flaming wolf's head icon with a shocked expression. He makes an odd yet reverent gesture, an elongated asterisk shape across his eyes. As he enters, he seems unusually subdued.

Daylily take a quiet stock of the interior of the temple, then sits next to Nathan. He nods to the larger man and says, "I was knowed the spirits talks to little brother, but is not expect to following hims to place of third great spirit."

OOC: Daylily doesn't know jack about Venzan gods, but a flaming wolf sounds a lot like the kind of nature spirit his people would venerate. He's mistaken Hinotheus for something out of his homeland.

SJRSamurai

First Post
[sblock=occ] [MENTION=93930]Systole[/MENTION]: or maybe Hinotheus is worshipped in Daylily's homeland in another form, really up to you, if you do decide that he's worshipped you may want to add something in the Hinotheus proposal in the LPF social group that I'll add in the description, I'm leaving that up to you since Jirago is your baby ;)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
[sblock=ooc]@SJRSamurai The characters themselves wouldn't know for sure whether it's Hinotheus or not. Daylily certainly thinks it is, but maybe he's wrong and it's a completely different flaming wolf spirit. I'm happy leaving it open for now and seeing what develops. Maybe it becomes important to another player -- or maybe a DM -- and it becomes a character point or a plot point. [/sblock]

EDIT: Still working on figuring out forum tags.

Remove ads