D&D 5E Hp as meat and abstraction

Some form of Aura 1 would fit the bill thematically and tactically for a Berserker Fighter. If they load it into the (mega) feat system it could have some heft to it as well. Something that works as a catch-22 control mechanism would fit the bill (move away and eat on OA or stay in range and eat a Berserker effect on a failed save):

Aura 1 (melee range, 5 ft, whatever): Any enemy that ends its turn adjacent to the Berserker must succeed at a successful Dexterity Saving Throw or take damage equal to the Berserker's Strength modifier.

This would encourage mobility and tactical decision-making for both the GM and PC. GWF Defender PC builds could have tactical control power plays that involve keeping enemies adjacent to you (through delivering mobility-inhibiting status effects, immediate actions riders triggered by your OAs which prevent enemy movement, et al).

darjr

I crit!
how about, if the gwf misses they can use their reaction to deal str bonus damage? Or attack again with advantage for str bonus damage (or weapon damage).

Emerikol

Adventurer
Is there anyone who still views it as purely physical? I'm not saying such a person exists, but I've not encountered one.

I don't know whether you would consider this purely physical or not but let me give you how I view it and you can say....

I view a given person assuming everything else is equal has the same amount of physicality regardless of level. I do though believe that as they gain hit points, damage is effectively reduced.

If I said that instead of gaining hit points each level, you divided incoming damage by your level to represent your superior combat effectiveness. Each hit would still represent real damage but it would represent a lot less for a 10th level character as it would a 1st level character. It is easier to increase hit points than do that kind of division. That is how I play it.

Remove ads