D&D 5E Huge Constrictor Snake - Just how HUGE is it?

E

Elderbrain

Fun fact: 50-foot long constrictor snakes ARE NOT FANTASY(!), they actually existed in prehistoric times! One was named Titanoboa; there was a documentary about it on tv/DVD. Of course, you can also Google it. This thing was big enough to swallow normal-sized crocodiles WHOLE! (50-foot long crocs ALSO existed, however... and ATE DINOSAURS!)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I actually "fought" a snake last week. One of the local venomous snakes came after my newborn puppies so, naturally enough, I charged into battle with my trusty shovel. Of course, as an Australian I had a +10 competence bonus on my attack rolls against venomous snakes.

As battle was joined, I noted with great glee how the snake had basically coiled up in order to fight once it realised it couldn't flee. It seemed suitably D&D-ish. Its length was a mere 5' which, when coiled, would make it a Tiny create occupying a quarter of a square.

I haven't managed to fight any constrictor snakes but my father-in-law eats them.

Klaus

First Post
Fun fact: 50-foot long constrictor snakes ARE NOT FANTASY(!), they actually existed in prehistoric times! One was named Titanoboa; there was a documentary about it on tv/DVD. Of course, you can also Google it. This thing was big enough to swallow normal-sized crocodiles WHOLE! (50-foot long crocs ALSO existed, however... and ATE DINOSAURS!)

Yep.

titanoboa-getty.jpg

Tormyr

Hero
The 50' snake can control more than a 15'x15' foot square. It would be hard pressed to fit in a Huge square. That snake is gargantuan.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The 50' snake can control more than a 15'x15' foot square. It would be hard pressed to fit in a Huge square. That snake is gargantuan.

It doesn't work that way. You don't go by the total length of a creature. A regular constrictor snake is large size (10x10), and they are 20-30ft in length in real life.

Tormyr

Hero
It doesn't work that way. You don't go by the total length of a creature. A regular constrictor snake is large size (10x10), and they are 20-30ft in length in real life.

I was just looking at if that snake balled up, it would still be hard pressed to fit in a 15" square, and it probably would not effectively control the square (other than sitting in it and occupying the space). That snake looks like it would normally fit better in a 20' square (mainly because of its girth). A thinner snake, like a boa, would fit better into a square space. Trying to fit the 50' snake above into a Huge square seems like it would look a lot like trying to fit a real boa in a 5' square. It can be done, but the snake is a little cramped.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I was just looking at if that snake balled up, it would still be hard pressed to fit in a 15" square, and it probably would not effectively control the square (other than sitting in it and occupying the space). That snake looks like it would normally fit better in a 20' square (mainly because of its girth). A thinner snake, like a boa, would fit better into a square space. Trying to fit the 50' snake above into a Huge square seems like it would look a lot like trying to fit a real boa in a 5' square. It can be done, but the snake is a little cramped.

I think 15' is probably bigger than a lot of people realize. Looking at that picture, it seems they are using 14" square and 28" rectangle tiles (common size). Extrapolating those sizes (excuse my poor line skills), we can see that the snake fits in what, 12 tiles? That's 14 feet.

snake.jpg

Remove ads