• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Huge SPOILER for end of Return of the King

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Unless we get Scouring of the Shire (please, please, please, please, please, by the name of all deities that are Good, Mr. Jackson include the Scouring), in which case it will take place a bit ahead of the actual end of the story.

Michael Tree

First Post
We're not going to see the scouring of the shire. Jackson said as much on his commentary track on the extended edition.

I'm not terribly disappointed. Cinematically, it would be a bit of an anti-climax, dragging on after the massive climax.

Welverin

First Post
Michael Tree said:
We're not going to see the scouring of the shire. Jackson said as much on his commentary track on the extended edition.

He also said in an interview that the mirror scene was his homage to the scouring, so no go there.

Welverin

First Post
scouring of the shire

Tom Cashel said:
Yeah, just like in the book! :)

But there are major character resolutions that will now have to be moved elsewhere and who knows how well the changes will end up working.

Olive

Explorer
I have it on good authority (ie someone who worked on FoTR and Two Towers) that the scouring would be hard to do, as a result of something that happens to a major character in film 2...

Mialee

First Post
Olive said:
I have it on good authority (ie someone who worked on FoTR and Two Towers) that the scouring would be hard to do, as a result of something that happens to a major character in film 2...
I think I know what you're referring to. I won't spoil it here, but I saw last year a photo someone had smuggled off the set that would represent a pretty drastic change from continuity.

I tried to find the image again, so I could link to it (with a spoiler warning of course), but I can't find it.

Sulimo

First Post
Mialee said:

I think I know what you're referring to. I won't spoil it here, but I saw last year a photo someone had smuggled off the set that would represent a pretty drastic change from continuity.

I tried to find the image again, so I could link to it (with a spoiler warning of course), but I can't find it.

Yeah. It bloody annoyed me then, and it still does now. the scouring is one of the core pieces of LOTR imo. Plus, the change alluded to in the photograph noted about pretty much means my fave piece of TTT will be butchered.

Olive

Explorer
Mialee said:

that came out during principle filming, so like two years ago... but yeah, thats the one i'm thinking of. and like i say, its confirmed that that will happen in TT by someone who worked closely on the effects fo the film, and has now gone back to san fransisco to work on the new matrix films...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads