D&D 5E Human racial abilty modifiers

How do you feel about the ability modifiers for humans?

• I like them strongly.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I like them.

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • I'm ambivalent. / I don't care.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • I dislike them.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I dislike them strongly.

Votes: 39 41.1%

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's not even an interesting problem: the choice they're working with is, by definition, alienating -- denying any objective value to the 3-18 range.

Ferghis

First Post
The human ability mods, as they stand, are awful. In fact, I'll go so far as to call them the worst thing in the current iteration of the playtest.
This.

Although the fact that they went back to having exploration and social parts of the game competing with combat parts is pretty close.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This. Humans are the baseline by which everything else is measured.

This.

I'd be willing to let them have something like an extra skill or what not. Or even a bump of +1 (that's ONE) to a single attribute [THIS, making it possible or likely for a human to have a high score in ANYthing -not EVERYthing-, is what defines the human "flexibility/versatility"]. As PC's are supposed to be "better" than normal humans...a "hero bonus", if you would. But since they've already built in a bump from your class, I see no reason they should receive anything else.

Yora

Legend
+1 to everything means the new average is now 11.5 and not 10.5. And the result of that is, that all other races get a -1 penalty on everything. Which is just stupid.

Make it another feat and another trained skill again, and humans are ready to roll.

Szatany

First Post
+1 to everything means the new average is now 11.5 and not 10.5. And the result of that is, that all other races get a -1 penalty on everything. Which is just stupid.

Make it another feat and another trained skill again, and humans are ready to roll.
Totally. The idea from this thread to give them +1 step in skill die is also nice.

Remember that feats are optional and possibly tied into the speciality system that a locks them in place with no substitutions. Giving humans an extra feat doesn't work at all with that system.

Likewise, skills are optional as well, despite being included in other races at the moment.

Kinak

First Post
The current races are a complete mess, but the humans most of all.

There are a number of good suggestions in this thread for how to replace human's "better than everyone" bonus. I particularly like the skill die bonus and choosing multiple attributes from your class list.

Maybe it's just me, but I also can't get behind throwing around +1 bonuses to attributes. If the designers are so afraid of a bonus mattering that it's been reduced to +0.5 on a d20, they should really just drop the bonus.

Cheers!
Kinak

Szatany

First Post
Remember that feats are optional and possibly tied into the speciality system that a locks them in place with no substitutions. Giving humans an extra feat doesn't work at all with that system.
Sure it does. In standard game, you would get a feat (either any feat, or 1st feat from any speciality of your choice). In basic game, the feat choice for human would be preselected.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Skill Focus would be the most applicable feat, able to benefit every character across the board equally (IMO).

Remove ads