• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(humor) The Most Broken Spell Competition

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Regeneration

The Spell: Regeneration
The Source: Polyhedron Magazine #18
Spell type: Wizard 1st level

This spell was created by the wizard Delsenora.
The spell lasts for 12 hours.
While the spell is in effect, the recipient is treated as if he was wearing a Ring of Regeneration, for all purposes (1 hit point per turn regenerated, severed limbs regrow, actual death is impossible save by burning or being melted in acid, or disintegrate, etc.)

This is a FIRST level spell.

Last edited:

wighair

Explorer
Daedrova said:
How about the new one from Unearthed Arcana: Bring Down the Moon- 8th level spell that grants the benefits of resting for one night to all allies, and the kicker is casters regain ALL previously used spell slots for that day! Oh yeah, and it grants the effects of a prayer spell (+1 to allies rolls, -1 to enemies).

can you get "Bring Down the Moon" again as one of those spells? This one sounds crazy! Worse than some magic card combinations. Is there some heavy cost? Material/XP?

Malicene

First Post
Not official Broken spell :
NO DUNGEON level 10th
Cast no dungeon at the beginning of game session, and directly get all xp and treasure you should have find, battle for.

express way to Over Epic Character :D

Wippit Guud

First Post
Spell - Nahal's Reckless Dweomer
AKA - Naha'ls Reckless DweOHMYGODHE'SCASTINGITAGAIN!
Source - AD&D 2nd Edition, Tome of Magic
Spell Type - Chaos Wizard 1st level

This spell lets you cast any spell you know. But it causes an automatic wild surge which wil undoubtely affect the spell in unpredictable ways.

Perennial favorites that I experienced included the magic missile spell that hits everyone within 30ft of the caster (ended up being about 50 magic missiles with 10 people in the raduis), and the fireball which lasted 10 minutes.

And, of course, there are a few who play the caster that only memorizes this psell at every level.... *whistles innocently*

Khorod

First Post
wighair said:

can you get "Bring Down the Moon" again as one of those spells? This one sounds crazy! Worse than some magic card combinations. Is there some heavy cost? Material/XP?

It requires a feat to gain access to it and can only be used under the light of the moon. I don't remember if it can be used more than once a night.

It's also unclear (at least to me) whether the benefits of the spell wear off when it ends (1 round per level later) or if just the bless/bane effect does.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
It was probably balanced in 3e, but in 3.5, now that standing up provokes attack of opportunity, Welter from the Book of Eldritch Might II is definately broken. Drops you prone to the ground with no save unless you make a Balance check (DC 20).

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
wighair said:

BALANCE:
You can only cast it once per night
It uses a 500gp material component
It is an "exotic" spell which means you need a feat to learn this particular spell (it won't get you any other exotic spells).

POTENTIALLY WORRYING:
You can cast a "diminished" version of this as a 7th level spell that only affects you and one other creature

So, it costs 500gp and it isn't like you can chain-cast the sucker.

Macbeth

First Post
Create Water is by far the most broken spell. After all, how many creatures can withstand having 2 gallons of water/level created INSIDE THEIR SKULL.

Note: Yes, I know the 3e PHB directly states that you cannot create water within a creature, but with just a little white out and a gullible DM...

Anabstercorian

First Post
Shadow Storm - Not THAT broken, but certainly broken. Does more damage than any other eighth level spell in the game to targets with a constitution score.

someonebored

First Post
Gate

Gate
PBH

You create a planar gate. You can either summon an outsider with twice your hd (solar's are 20th lvl clerics with 1 wish per day that fight better then fighters, and will never fail a banish save) that will do your bidding for 1 round per caster lvl, or you can travel the planes. The gate opens on another plane where ever you wish, including in front of whomever you wish. This person knows that you wish them to come through the gate, but are under no compulsion to do so. Effects passing through the gate go to the other plane, maybe pissing off that planes denzins.

Basically this spell gets you a 20th lvl caster with 34 HD, insane saves, a bow of ass wuppin, and a +5 vorpal dancing greatsword.

A use of this spell generally goes like this.

25th lvl halfdragon minotaur barbarian with a mantle of epic spell resistance SR 70, 10 feet away from the wizard. "You may have won the innitiative, but it doesn't matter. You can't touch me."

17th lvl kobold wizard: "Thats what you think biznatch." casts quickened fly, gets the hell out of the way, and then casts gate.

34 HD solar: Uses wish to cast timestop, then buffs itself as only a 20th lvl cleric can. Comes out of the timestop firing 5 (with rapid shot feat it picked up with the extra hd) 25th lv halfdragon minotaur barbarian slaying missiles a round 500 feet above the poor, miserable cow.

25th lvl halfdragon: "Man, I made all five of those saves easily. It's too bad I've taken 100 damage this round from those 5 +5 arrows (greater magic weapon) fired from that +5 bow and can only catch up to the wizard once a round. Guess it's a good thing I have 600 hp. Oh well. Here goes nothing." Charges flying wizard and crits with his scythe!

Kobold wizard: "holy :):):):), I have 10 hp left!" Casts dimension door, goes 100 feet away from the barbarian, and goes "mooooo."

Solar does the same thing it did last round.

Repeat for a few rounds.

Round 8

Kobold: "I need a new wardrobe. Midnight black on standard black, or Negative Energy Plane black on Ugly Bruise black..."

25th lvl punching bag: Man, those potions of heal really saved me. I've finally made it to within 20 feet of the solar. I wonder what it was doing those last two rounds though...

Solar: Uses the spectral hand it created through the use of another miracle that last round to hit the minotaur with harm, then lets it's +5 vorpal dancing greatsword that it activated last round tear into the barbarian.

1 hour later the kobold is at his tower...

kobold: "honey, fry this steak up on the grill will you?"

Top THAT one :)

Remove ads