• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(humor) The Most Broken Spell Competition

James McMurray

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
There are higher level variants of Teleport that will teleport unwilling creatures (Teleport Undead being one of the notables.)
It is true you cannot teleport someone to another Plane, but you can teleport someone to the Mists.
For the Mists exist in the Prime Material Plane. They come and take people away to Ravenloft.
Thus, the evil wizard could visualize the Mists, and teleport the target to that point, and hope the creature arrived on target, and the Mists took the creature (an interesting and risky venture, I would daresay.)

Is it just me, or is feeding people to Ravenloft an evil act that is almost assured to result in you ultimately getting found and eaten by Ravenloft?

Now, that is most fantastic. Tell me, do you have a weaselly way around the problem of the debilitating effect of dropping below 0 hitpoints while under Hide Life?

By the debilitating effect, I imagine you mean the staggered feature? Does a mage truly need a move equivilant action when he can take 5 ft. steps, quickened teleport at will, and (under 3e rules) still cast 2 more spells, up to 9th level, which can include Time Stop (or, in 3.5e, 1 spell, Time Stop and then as many Maximized Delayed Blast Fireballs, energy switched or what not to whatever flavor of death you want to grant ;))

Did sollir forgot to GATE in a solar to hallow the ground where the kobold was imprisoned? nah, I'm sure thats part of one of his contingencies

Nah, don't worry, that's the reader's digest version ;) My "full proof" (nothing really is, but I like to think it is) version has you leading the kobold to an emptied underground cavern, imprisoning him there, as well as a few hundred other kobolds (or deadlier creatures) with the same name and all with metamagick'd delayed blast fireballs set to go off 1 round later (which would go off when the stasis from Imprisonment ended). And then the wizard would collapse the cavern, then promptly forget about the kobold's name, perhaps using magic to erase it from his mind.

Another fun spell combination is Ilmater's Favor (Magic of Faerun) with Monstrous Regeneration (I think Magic of Faerun, not sure)

Be immune to subdual damage+regeneration :)

Remember, Incantrix and Persistant spell is your friend ;)

Last edited:

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Plus some other spells from Faerûn. Most of them are described in Magic of Faerûn (a book that our DM fears most...but he was the one who bought it first :D ).

A few examples:

Holy Star: Cleric 7. The spell has three abilities, each can be activated as a free action. +10 cover bonus or spell turning for 1d4+3 levels or ray of fire for 1d4 points +1 per level. If the spell turning ability is exhausted, the other two abilities are still available.

Stormrage: Cleric 8. Fly as the 3.0 fly-spell for 1min/level, immunity to winds (and spells creating harmful winds) and cast lightning bolts dealing up to caster level d6 damage (divide the damage among the bolts as you wish).

Cocoon: Druid 8. A spell I consider extremely weak. Target is wrapped in a cocoon and paralyzed for a number of days if it fails a fort save. In this time it gets negative levels until it is dead. The druid can then take the remains of the cocoon and get some enhancement to an ability and perhaps an additional spell slot for a number of days. Costs: 1000 XP. For a spell that allows a save, needs days to be finished and has a limited duration.

Gutsnake: Wiz 3 (?, perhaps 4). A poison-spell for wizzies. Works longer than the druid version, more chances to hit and an opponent can be constricted by your gutsnake...

Fortunate Faith: Cleric 7 (DoF?). Killing a cleric by hp loss is difficult as long as he is protected by this spell (duration 10 min/level). If the cleric is at -10 hp, a heal is automatically cast before the cleric dies. FF is then discharged at least.

Whippleby

First Post
How could you all have forgotten the most broken spell of all time??

Dimensional Folding. I think it was a 5th level priest spell from the Tome of Magic. Opens a 10' wide portal from anywhere to anywhere. Open a portal to the center of a volcanoe, and bam, there go your enemies. Open a window to a sunlit field, and bye bye vampire. Open a hole to the deepest ocean depths and whoosh, torrent of water opens before you. Open a hole to the depths of space and... well, you get the idea. Not to mention it's basically a super-teleport.

That spell was soooo abused in my game until I banned it.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
That's the spirit!
Keep em coming. :)

Do give the source, would you?
Heh. Some of these I gotta reread myself.

Here is another classic:

The Spell: Destruction
The Source: 1st Edition Player's Handbook
Spell Type: Cleric 7th

This spell requires a touch.
This spell allows no saving throw.
This spell kills the target and turns it's remains to dust (which can then be swept up with a broom to prevent any resurrection attempts. :D )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads