• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(humor) The Most Broken Spell Competition

Pardon moi, but here's a better challenge for Edena (IMO) ;)

Arcana Form (Book of Eldritch Might II) + Hide Life (Tome & Blood), and then add Elminster's Effulgent Espuration (Magic of Faerun) x20

Going below -10 hp does not kill you, you can cast infinite # of spells per day (including 9th level spells) by taking Hp damage equal to the spell's level-so you can create 400 or so balls from casting Elminster's Effulgent Espuration 10 times-meaning 400 levels of spells that would effect you disappate instead. Antimagic doesn't kill you if you're in it with under -10 hp, it just makes you vanish and reappear when the field goes away.

Mix with Imprisonment, a glove of storing, and a kobold that you raised with a name that takes a year to pronounce so that your phylactery for the hide life spell will be never found, or if it was, you'd probably be level 1000 or so by then :)

Anabstercorian

First Post
Now, that is most fantastic. Tell me, do you have a weaselly way around the problem of the debilitating effect of dropping below 0 hitpoints while under Hide Life?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Re: Gate

someonebored said:
Gate
PBH

You create a planar gate. You can either summon an outsider with twice your hd (solar's are 20th lvl clerics with 1 wish per day that fight better then fighters, and will never fail a banish save) that will do your bidding for 1 round per caster lvl, or you can travel the planes. The gate opens on another plane where ever you wish, including in front of whomever you wish. This person knows that you wish them to come through the gate, but are under no compulsion to do so. Effects passing through the gate go to the other plane, maybe pissing off that planes denzins.

Basically this spell gets you a 20th lvl caster with 34 HD, insane saves, a bow of ass wuppin, and a +5 vorpal dancing greatsword.

A use of this spell generally goes like this.

25th lvl halfdragon minotaur barbarian with a mantle of epic spell resistance SR 70, 10 feet away from the wizard. "You may have won the innitiative, but it doesn't matter. You can't touch me."

17th lvl kobold wizard: "Thats what you think biznatch." casts quickened fly, gets the hell out of the way, and then casts gate.

34 HD solar: Uses wish to cast timestop, then buffs itself as only a 20th lvl cleric can. Comes out of the timestop firing 5 (with rapid shot feat it picked up with the extra hd) 25th lv halfdragon minotaur barbarian slaying missiles a round 500 feet above the poor, miserable cow.

25th lvl halfdragon: "Man, I made all five of those saves easily. It's too bad I've taken 100 damage this round from those 5 +5 arrows (greater magic weapon) fired from that +5 bow and can only catch up to the wizard once a round. Guess it's a good thing I have 600 hp. Oh well. Here goes nothing." Charges flying wizard and crits with his scythe!

Kobold wizard: "holy :):):):), I have 10 hp left!" Casts dimension door, goes 100 feet away from the barbarian, and goes "mooooo."

Solar does the same thing it did last round.

Repeat for a few rounds.

Round 8

Kobold: "I need a new wardrobe. Midnight black on standard black, or Negative Energy Plane black on Ugly Bruise black..."

25th lvl punching bag: Man, those potions of heal really saved me. I've finally made it to within 20 feet of the solar. I wonder what it was doing those last two rounds though...

Solar: Uses the spectral hand it created through the use of another miracle that last round to hit the minotaur with harm, then lets it's +5 vorpal dancing greatsword that it activated last round tear into the barbarian.

1 hour later the kobold is at his tower...

kobold: "honey, fry this steak up on the grill will you?"
Top THAT one :)

Yeah its powerful, but it is a 9th level spell and on top of that costs you 1000 xp to use it the way you describe above.

Ok my contender is the lowly hold person (pre 3.5) or as we liked to call it "the second level death spell". This spell killed more fighters in my campaign than all the fireballs, lightning bolts, and cone's of cold combined. Low will save plus coup de grace gets em every time. :D

The spell is much more balanced now with the will save every round.

Dirge

Last edited:

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
Spell - Nahal's Reckless Dweomer
AKA - Naha'ls Reckless DweOHMYGODHE'SCASTINGITAGAIN!
Source - AD&D 2nd Edition, Tome of Magic
Spell Type - Chaos Wizard 1st level

This spell lets you cast any spell you know. But it causes an automatic wild surge which wil undoubtely affect the spell in unpredictable ways.

Perennial favorites that I experienced included the magic missile spell that hits everyone within 30ft of the caster (ended up being about 50 magic missiles with 10 people in the raduis), and the fireball which lasted 10 minutes.

And, of course, there are a few who play the caster that only memorizes this psell at every level.... *whistles innocently*

Ah, the happy memories of my Elven Fighter/Wild Mage who cast that spell over and over again...with incredible luck.

The highlight being when he went to cast sleep on a bunch of Zhentarim...and sent them all to the Ethereal Plane for all eternity! :D

A lunatic notion of a spell, but great fun. Nothing quite like rolling those d100 to see if you're going to live...:)

someonebored

First Post
a few more

mordainkanins disjunction PHB 3.0

Permenantly destroys all magic effects and items in 30 foot radius except your own personal effects and items. May or may not destroy artifacts.

Force Missiles, ADnD, forget the splat book, arcane something or other.

Creates 1 missile and one extra missile every lvl after 7th. The missiles do 2d12 damage + your caster lvl, save or be knocked down. The cap on missiles is lvl 25. At lvl 25 you can do more damage with a 4th lvl spell then with meteor swarm.

Stoneskin Adnd PHB
You completely ignore physical damage on a number of hits determined by your caster lvl.

That gate spell was from the 3.0 PHB, and solars can cast wish once a day in the 3.0 monster manual. While I could argue that the solar could wish for four rounds to cast spells upon itself in null time, even without the timestop the solar would wipe the floor with the minotaur. It'd just take a little longer. The kobold still gets away, and the solar can just start the fight by casting harm and letting it's dancing vorpal sword finish the fight. Oh, and did I mention that you could technically hand a solar a 5000 gp dimond and tell it to true ressurect you if you died in the fight?

Did sollir forgot to GATE in a solar to hallow the ground where the kobold was imprisoned? nah, I'm sure thats part of one of his contingencies:)

Sollir wins

Which brings me to my next spell.

Chain contingency Tome of Blood
Cast any three personal spells. As soon as a condition is met, such as "I see the (insert evil warlord here)" these spells activate. They can be ninth lvl.

someonebored

First Post
one more thing about gate

You could also gate in a solar, then have it gate in another, which in turn would gate in another, until you have as many as you want. And this all happens in 1 round because a creature you gate in can act on the round the spell is cast. I think 1000 solars using their wishes might be able to take sollirs combination. Because gating in a creature is just like binding one, as it can stay longer then 20 rounds if you want to compact with it, I believe the summoning restrictions are off. And even if they aren't, I seem to remember that only the spell like abilitys of summoning allies where not usable, and the spells themselves were fine.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
There were some spells in good ol' AD&D times I remember to be funny (perhaps broken too)...

Nap: Tome of Magic (?), level 2. Get all benefits of an eight hour sleep in just one hour. Wizards out of spells? Use Nap. Ranger wounded, out of spells? Nap...Need to be prepared for an unexpected villain? Guess what spell...;).

Reverse Time: Tome of Magic (?), level 7. A really cool and funny spell, but my DM wasn't really happy about it. It's difficult to place and handle. All creatures within the affected area get a save or start a short journey back in time (1d4+1 rounds, IIRC). Creatures not affected can act normally and prepare for the battle again (and watch how the affected creatures undo their actions...).

Chromatic Orb was also a must-have spell.

Hmm, there was also a high-level wizard spell (Tome of Magic)that granted immunity to level drain and attacks of undead (in german it was called "Angst abwehren", which means something like Repel Fear).

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I must admit, some of the above are wowsers.
I doubt I can top those, especially the spell combos!

- - -

Here is another interesting spell from past times:

The Spell: Transforming Tune
The Source: FOR 3 Code of the Harpers 2nd Edition
Spell Type: Wizard 9th

This spell requires song or a musical instrument. It lasts one round per level of the wizard.
The spell produces one effect per round, of the caster's choice:

Break all charms, holds, etc.
Break any one lock.
Break polymorph.
Call Woodland Being.
Change an untriggered spell.
Dimension Door.
Dispel Magic.
End Entangle, Evard's Black Tentacles.
Levitate
Polymorph Other
Polymorph Self
Remove Curse
Repulsion
Still shriekers, negate harpy songs, negate banshee wails, negate spinx roars, etc.
Stone Tell
Stone to Flesh
Strength
Telekinesis
Tenser's Transformation
True Seeing
Wierd - warn the caster when a subject does a particular action.

Restore any one cast or lost spell to memory
Restore any one charge to a magic item
Heal - and the target CANNOT TAKE damage (or be drained of levels, or otherwise killed or harmed) in any way for the next 2 rounds, period. Not directly, at least.

There are other possibilities with Transforming Tune than the ones mentioned here. These are the ones commonly known of.

(If you thought there was power in music, you were right. Better pump up those speakers.)
(This should be a wizard's favorite spell. With it, he can regain his entire spell arsenal, excluding this spell only. He can also recharge his items with it.)
(There is nothing like making someone literally invincible for 2 rounds - and of course, they can attack while invincible. And if 2 rounds is not long enough, you just give them another 2 rounds ...)

Last edited:

Remove ads