• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Character Playtest

CubeKnight

First Post
I think simply inverting the conditions should do the trick. Instead of "You can only deal Sneak Attack damage with your Rogue and Rogue PPs powers", something like "You can not deal Sneak Attack damage with the powers from your other class and your other class' PPs".

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Unfortunately, that route leads to making basic attacks more enticing than powers in some situations.
They already are. Charge, for example, does something very few powers can replicate. Wizards who take Melee Training can find good reason to take a thwack with a staff.

A melee basic attack is strictly better than Careful Attack (which is a power) in almost every situation... but that's not really what you meant.

Cheers, -- N

rogue/rangers sneak attacking and hunter's quarrying with the same attack. This is why basic attacks trigger nothing.

Which could be easily stopped by adding the rider that only one hybrid classes features can be applied to any MBA, etc. Not a problem, you choose either quarry or sneak attack.

keterys

First Post
They already are. Charge, for example, does something very few powers can replicate. Wizards who take Melee Training can find good reason to take a thwack with a staff.

Those examples only show situations in which you are forced to use a basic attack. For example, someone with heavy blade opportunity can use an at-will instead of a basic attack with OAs, and then it becomes a better option. Reaper's Touch lets you Eldritch Blast (or whatever) on charges, opportunity attacks, commander's strike, etc.

That is to say, with a few _glaring_ exceptions, if you can use your at-wills instead of your basic attacks, you _want_ to do so.

A melee basic attack is strictly better than Careful Attack (which is a power) in almost every situation... but that's not really what you meant.

Ah, but how often do you want to basic attack instead of Twin Strike, mm? :)

keterys

First Post
Part of me still wants a hybrid fighter/rogue to deal, say, half sneak attack damage, and mark on every attack, but lack, say, combat superiority.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Those examples only show situations in which you are forced to use a basic attack. For example, someone with heavy blade opportunity can use an at-will instead of a basic attack with OAs, and then it becomes a better option. Reaper's Touch lets you Eldritch Blast (or whatever) on charges, opportunity attacks, commander's strike, etc.

That is to say, with a few _glaring_ exceptions, if you can use your at-wills instead of your basic attacks, you _want_ to do so.
Sure, if you spend resources to make your chosen at-will power into a basic attack.

But consider the Wizard again. Sure, he could spend a feat to turn Magic Missile into a MBA, but that requires spending two resources: one of his at-will powers, and the feat itself. For a Human Wizard that might be a reasonable choice, but for an Eladrin who has fewer at-will powers and free feats, it's a different story. He might prefer Melee Training and never learning Magic Missile.

But that's not really the point. The point is: precedent exists for basic attacks being preferable to powers in certain situations, and that's not a terrible thing.

(See also: bracers that make basic attacks do more damage.)

Ah, but how often do you want to basic attack instead of Twin Strike, mm? :)
Seldom indeed. Rangers are awesome.

Cheers, -- N

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Careful attack no!!!!!!!!!!!!

booo .... hissss, I remove that power from consideration.... Careful attack whats that oh yeah.. did your reskin Reaping Strike ah yeah, makes sense to me.. what is more careful than never really misses :D

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am tempted by combos that I bet are somewhat non-optimal.... the battlerager swordmage isnt bad though High strength makes greenflame blade interesting...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads