• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Classes...Anybody seen a good one lately?

wyrdone

First Post
I've been playing a hybrid Shielding Swordmage/Wizard for a couple levels and he is fantastic.

Swordmage loses almost nothing as a hybrid, and his defender mechanic fires off as an immediate action... so I can spend my minor action marking a target, (or targets, I'm level 13 now), my standard action throwing some wizard controller spell, and then later in the round I can likely use my immediate action to reduce the damage an ally takes.

It's a powerful combination of Defender/Controller, and both roles can be executed every round, versus most other hybrids choosing which role they'll use their standard action on.

interwyrm

First Post
On the other hand, there are some hybrid classes that I think lose too much!

Runepriest - doesn't get rune of protection/destruction
Rogue - doesn't get a build option
Avenger - doesn't get its censure
Paladin - neutered mark
Assassin - not even a great class to start

I'm not familiar with all of the classes, but that's what I'd go with to start. I think all the hybrids should have gotten the build option for interaction with powers - in the same vein as warlocks.

mysticknight232

First Post
Just by looking at combinations of classes, my favorite build options (without actually trying them out yet) would be either a striker or defender paired with a controller. Melee powers from one class and burst/blast powers from the controller. I think this would provide enough versatility and make them potentially worth while.

Again, I've never played one, only messed around with them in the CB and as already mentioned, some hybrid classes lose a lot while others don't lose all that much.

Felon

First Post
I'm playing a hybrid barbarian/paladin. Since the hybrid barb only gets Ramage (which is hardly on par with Hunter's Quarry or Oath of Enmity), there's a real question as to why I didn't just stay straight paladin. Although classified as a striker, a two-hander barb doesn't hit significantly harder than a two-hander defender--Howling Strike notwithstanding, of course, which you'd have to be crazy not to take as your barb at-will.

Compare Avalanche Strike with Heedless Fury, or Vault the Fallen with Arcing Smite. The barb versions seem to be a lot of minor tweaks of the pally version.

Still, it's a fun build, and that is what counts. I just wish that the paragon hybrid option offered a little more (like something that you can do with an AP).

MrMyth

First Post
I'm playing a hybrid barbarian/paladin. Since the hybrid barb only gets Ramage (which is hardly on par with Hunter's Quarry or Oath of Enmity), there's a real question as to why I didn't just stay straight paladin. Although classified as a striker, a two-hander barb doesn't hit significantly harder than a two-hander defender--Howling Strike notwithstanding, of course, which you'd have to be crazy not to take as your barb at-will.

Actually, I think that is worth keeping in mind - part of a barbarian's damage comes from their powers more than a standard striker damage boost. In many ways, that actually makes them extra good as a hybrid, rather than less!

jbear

First Post
Runepriests lose very little from their hybridization. I initially thought the same as you but the Protective/Destructive Rune feature is triggered by the Rune keyword of the power. If you read the side bar about the Rune Keyword you see that the Runepriest does not need the Runemaster feature to add these effects to power. The Hybrid talent merely gives the extra bonus that a Runepriest gains when these features are used.

Basically Runepriests make AWESOME hybrids. And as for the OP's initial leaning towards Hybrid Fighter/Runepriest, pure awesome! Take a polearm, polearm flanker, hafted defense, and at paragon you become a total beast! Yeah, Polearm Gambit. With Wisdom as your secondary stat 15 WIS is not a problem. So you will probably want to take the Miss me at your own risk Runepriest Dmg Buff Option, which keys of Wisdom. So Str/WIS... either minotaur of Longtooth Shifter... both fully solid races. Plus you are a decent secondary leader with massive amounts of defensive/offensive options to boost your allies.

One of the penalties of many hybrids AC defence. Not going to be the case here. You have total armour synergy, (yeah scale armour and no feats wasted!!!). And your marking is almost as potent as a normal fighters. Runepriest/Fighter is a solid choice.

I've seen several hybrids in play, and they were all top class.

I have two in my regular campaign. One is a Elf Ranger/Shaman Hybrid. The Archer Ranger, as far as strikers go, is so simple that with Quarry, Twin Strike and a Superior Bow all other features aren't too sorely missed. Especially considering everything gained from the Shaman. A spirit with spirit power as Hybrid Talent adds a melee OA and great battlefield control options. As far as AT Wills, Twin Strike is so good that it's hard to compete. But the Shaman gets several which gives attacks to allies. So even when the ranger gets locked down or is at a serious disadvantage, she gives her action to an ally.

The other is a Longtooth Shifter Tempest Fighter/Ranger with shortswords. And Multiclassed into Avenger! She never misses with those things, incredibly accurate. The static damage is massive. And they gain access to some awesome powers from each class: Rain of Blows, Skirmishing Stance, Dervish's Challenge, Off hand strike etc. Used as basically a striker, but could probably pimped even more by a more tactical player who used the fighter mark regularly.

I've also seen a shielding swordmage/wizard. Really awesome second defender/controller.

Longtooth shifter Barbarian/Paladin was pretty solid heavily armoured resistent charge striker.

There are loads more combos out there that look solid on paper as well, say the rogue/assassin multiclassed into warlock for example. Not all combos work, but those that do are pretty nifty.

satori01

First Post
Avenger/Monk strikes me as a good combo.

Dex/Wis works well and the powers are pretty complementry.
With Hybrid Talent...AC will be on Par w/ Avenger
HP will be slightly lower than Avenger, but not by much
Defenses will be slightly lower than Monk/Avenger

DPS for Monk powers will be about the same with Hybrid Flurry, and the slide from Centered school meshes well with the controllery aspect of many Avenger powers.

DPS for Avenger powers will be slightly lower as you will not be getting the situational bonuses for Retribution or Pursuit, but as since those were never a particuliarly great aspect to begin with, not a great loss.

*The best thing I see from this Hybrid is that all weapons you are proficient with now become implements, which means the Avenger Weapon vs Implement issue is moot....take whatever Avenger power you want*...........which is a pretty strong benifit.

You also can pull some Jackie Chan style hygenics....an Elven Avenger/Monk Hybrid could use a Magic bow as an implement with Monk melee attacks (think Shanghai Noon and instead of a thin tree, an unstrung bow), and use the plus from the bow with a ranged Avenger Implement power.....pretty nifty.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I played a bard/dark pact warlock for a bit and that worked out well. I got some of the healing and buffing aspects of the bard, but my damage really got upgraded by the warlock's curse.

Tarrl

First Post
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
HandSome BoB, level 11
Drow, Fighter|Ranger, Shock Trooper
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Combat Talent
Fighter Combat Talent: Tempest Technique
Darkfire: Darkfire Wisdom
Background: Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 13.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 17, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 26 Fort: 25 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18
TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +14, Dungeoneering +13, Perception +14, Acrobatics +14, Religion +9
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Endurance +6, Heal +8, History +4, Insight +8, Intimidate +8, Nature +8, Stealth +11, Streetwise +6, Thievery +8
FEATS
Level 1: Xen'drik Weapon Training
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 8: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 10: Deft Hurler Style
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity
POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Cleave
Hybrid encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Tempest Dance
Hybrid utility 2: Pass Forward
Hybrid encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Hybrid daily 5: Two-Wolf Pounce
Hybrid utility 6: Eyes of the Deep Delver
Hybrid encounter 7: Claws of the Griffon
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Undaunted Stride
ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Distance Drow Long Knife +1, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Elven Battle Hide Armor +2, Vengeful Drow Long Knife +2, Cloak of Survival +2, Potion of Vigor (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Drow Long Knife of Great Opportunity +2, Predator's Hide Earthhide Armor +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

chorolus

First Post
How about Ranger/Shaman?

I agree with the previous post that Hybrid characters are much easier to use to create a 'character concept' more fully then a vanilla character. Hybrids are definitely more complicated, but in my opinion, are more rewarding in their character development as well.

One such Hybrid that I've been experimenting with, is a Human Beastmaster Ranger/Shaman, MC'd as Swordmage.

I won't go into all the nitty-gritty details...but she's got 3 pets acting as a mobile wall while she attacks at range, throwing Handaxes around using Twin Strike as often as she can in conjunction with the Reaving Axe feats. Nimble Strike is also a key Power for her, as with proper feat support gives her quite a bit of mobility letting her play Ring-Around-the-Rosies with her foes as she dances circles around her 'pet-wall'.

Ranger works nicely with a healing-type support class too as she can dish out respectable, though sub-stiker damage-per-round but still fulfill a nicely rounded-out support role.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads