• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hybrid Monk/Ranger

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the online CB, or if there's something futzy with my reading of the rules...

Rangers get leather armor proficiency, right? And, unless a class feature says otherwise, I should be able to wear it, right?

So why's the CB telling me I'm not proficient?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Duuuuuuuuuuurp, of course. That is why it also pops up as a Hybrid Talent option.

Hmm...Any clever ideas for pumping up my defenses as a Monk/Ranger? If I go with this character on Monday, we will not have a Leader in our party, so I'd like to keep his juices inside him. He's got the Unarmored Agility feat ready to go.

Saagael

First Post
There's a feat that gives you +2 AC to all opportunity attacks; that'll help you get into position for your powers with relative ease. I believe there's also a feat called defensive advantage which gives you +2 to AC against enemies who are granting CA to you.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Twf

+ TWD

aside from that, obviously I'm guessing that you have a maxxed out Dex? Monks use dex, right? if so, no reason to focus on anything but dex 20 at level 1

john112364

First Post
Unarmored Agility

Heroic Tier
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to AC while wearing either cloth armor or no armor.

This is the perfect feat for an unarmored character.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could take shield proficiency...then, down the road, take Weapon Proficiency Spiked Shield. You get defense AND an off-hand weapon!

Mapache

Explorer
Hmm...Any clever ideas for pumping up my defenses as a Monk/Ranger? If I go with this character on Monday, we will not have a Leader in our party, so I'd like to keep his juices inside him. He's got the Unarmored Agility feat ready to go.

What are you trying to do with this character? Mechanically, hybrid striker-strikers aren't too hot, as they can only use half their abilities at a time. Hybrid striker-leaders, however, are the bomb. If you hybridized ranger with warlord (melee), shaman (ranged), or cleric (either), all of which I've done, then you get better armor for free while keeping all of a ranger's ass-kicking and layering on most of a leader's healing.

Neverfate

First Post
Just my two cents: Hybrid Monk/Ranger.

Go 20 Dex.

Take the ranger at-will Fading Striker if you want to stay all melee (or any ranged at-will, like Twin Strike).

At level 1 take Unarmored Agility or Armor training Leather. Then level 2 take Hybrid Talent for the ranger fighting style called Marauder Style. That will give you two-weapon defense and +1 speed (when you're not wielding a shield and wielding 2 weapons).

This build works best with a Human (extra feat/at-will) or Elf (dex/wis and 8 speed with said hybrid talent) but most races would work. There's at least one melee Dex power for rangers at every level now thanks to Martial Power 2 or you could pick ranged powers, leaving your Monk half to do melee. Increasing your speed and shifts is fun, Moving 9 or 10 squares at level 2 without having to run can be fun.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So she's a level 4, and she's a thri-kreen stone fist monk/miscellaneous ranger, and the mechanical concept behind it was to just pile on as many attacks as possible...dual strike, off-hand strike, monk powers that are a close burst 1 (fluffed as a whirling dervish of blows). Its a Dark Sun game, so to pick up a smidge of healing I grabbed the Templar theme (she's a nganga from Gulg!).

Here's the CB block:
[sblock]
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Chuka-tet, level 4
Thri-Kreen, Monk/Ranger
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Will
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Unarmed Combatant
Dark Sun, Inherent Bonuses
Ivory Triangle - Hardened Traveler (+2 to Endurance)
Theme: Templar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 11, DEX 19, INT 11, WIS 12, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 12, CHA 8

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Ref: 18 Will: 15
HP: 38 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +13, Endurance +9, Nature +10, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Stealth +6, Streetwise +1, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Templar Feature: Templar's Fist
Thri-Kreen Racial Power: Thri-kreen Claws
Monk Feature: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Wild Talent Cantrip: Body Equilibrium
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Off-Hand Strike
Monk Attack 1: Whirling Mantis Step
Templar Utility 2: Reward the Obedient
Monk Attack 3: Eternal Mountain

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Improved Monk Unarmed Strike
Level 4: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike x2
Chatkcha
Adventurer's Kit
Stanching Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1 x1
Quick Strike Ki Focus +1 x1
Amulet of Life +1 x1
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Survival Day
Sun balm
====== End ======
[/sblock]

Currently I've made a lot of her feat choices to shore up the middling strikerness. I grabbed the Hybrid Talent for monk unarmed strike, and Improved Unarmed Strike, and combined with Hunter's Quarry, flurrry of blows (for about 7-9 extra points of damage) and several attack rolls in a normal round, my striker damage should be fairly respectable -- a 1d10 weapon plus 2-4 attacks (depending on action points and minor actions) is not too shabby. I could be looking at ~ 23 points of damage against a single target just using at-wills (Quarry + Move + Twin Strike + Flurry of Blows). She's got STR 19 and DEX 19.

In order to get a bit of defense, the templar theme helps, and I've currently got the Eternal Mountain power, and Unarmored Defense. As much as I'm going to need more accuracy, I wasn't going to start her off with an AC of 17....ugh....

I might consider swapping Eternal Mountain for a ranger power (like ruffling sting), and then swap Off-hand strike for a monk power (like gentle rain), but I dunno...

I think when I'm going with the inevitable expertise feat, it'll probably be Versatile Expertise (to enhance both the unarmed attacks that are considered weapon attacks, and the unarmed attacks that are considered implement attacks).

And there's always a possible leader multiclass option in the future...one of those feats that basically gives you the healing power of a leader class + some skill training would come in handy in a leaderless party.

Remove ads