D&D 5E I allow using INT for initiative bonus, thoughts?

Eggs Benedict

First Post
Considering the way that INT seems rather undervalued in 5th Edition, I allow players to use either their DEX or INT for their initiative bonus. I feel that this represents quickness of mind anticipating events rather than pure reflexes reacting to events. It seems to me that this is a minor tweak without altering too much while throwing a bone to Wizards, and gives at least a little bit of a reason not to dump stat INT.

I suppose I'm just asking for opinions here as to whether I have misjudged anything, and suggesting this as a houserule that others may want to consider. Feel free to include other smallish tweaks to increase the relative value of INT.

I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but along with the overvaluation of DEX, I think it requires some adjustment.

Thanks for reading!

SunGold

First Post
The Lore Master wizard (from UA) has this ability:

Your analytical abilities are so well-honed that your initiative in combat can be driven by mental agility, rather than physical agility. When you roll initiative, it is either an Intelligence check or a Dexterity check for you (your choice).

Makes sense to me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm been a proponent of that for a while, except that I made it only INT. You ability to assess and formulate an action are what controls your speed to start acting, not your ability to juggle or balance.

From a mechanical side, DEX has a lot that it boosts. There are already ltos of reasons for PCs to boost DEX, so having the 14 DEX, 8 INT would still be common. Making it only INT gives a reason to boost it. Warriors who understand tactics instead of being slow on the uptake. Fits the archetype, gives a reason to take INT, and slightly loosens the stranglehold DEX has as the most-useful ability score.

It would work better if you made it INT instead of DEX for all characters, or even if you just added them together. As it stands, it doesn't encourage anyone to invest in INT if they have already invested in DEX.

Caliburn101

Explorer
I would give INT the following additional punch to make it as useful as it is in real life and stop it being a dump stat;

Half a character's INT modifier (round up to the next highest numeral whether a positive or negative modifier) is applied as an additional permanent modifer to Initiative.

At character generation, a number of bonus proficiencies equal to half a character's INT modifier (round up) are gained from the following list. Where proficiency already exists from background or class choices, expertise may be taken instead.

Arcana
History
Insight
Investigation
Medicine
Nature
Religion

Any permanent increase in the INT stat during play which increases the resulting half-proficiency allows for further skill proficiency or expertise to be gained during study in downtime.

Of course with the proposed rules on traps, Investigation is increasingly important as well, which makes dumb fast thieves a niche proposition for dungeoneering rather than a smart choice.

Last edited:

No it should be charisma, because you have the force of will to act quickly....no, it should be wisdom, because your subconscious is paying attention....no, changed my mind, it should be constitution, because muscle fatigue slows you down....I give up on strength, but seriously what class doesn't need something else to go with strength?

Remove ads