I am a better DM than a player (THREAD-O-MANCY)

Numion

First Post
As a long time DM I got to play this autumn in a friends (former player in my group) campaign.. quite an experience. I chose to play a twinked out elven archer-cleric, just for the power and versatility.

Staying in character is quite hard. I just enjoy looting and spending the money. I metagame a lot, both in game mechanics and plot. ("you say the head of the notorious noble house is 'abroad'. Yeah right - he's either a) mutant hiding in cellar b) controlled by mindflayers c) undead")

It seems pretty hard to be truely surprised by premade adventures after so much DMing.. ;)

Creamsteak

Explorer
I am a Far Better Player than DM. This has to do directly with my desire to play my character, and my knowledge of how to help the DM. I draw maps, look up what needs looking up, check the other players character sheets, find myself trying to memorize Grapple at all times (because it is impossible to actually memorize Grapple), and I tend to do maps and keep good notes. I'm not the most vocal player, I prefer to role-play character to character events, but I tend to shy away from confronting NPCs without my dice. (In other words, I prefer to roll diplomacy or gather information, and simplify my questions when dealing with NPCs, wheras I would role-play encounters with relatives and other PCs).

Also, my DMing relies on the players speaking their IC thoughts to me (or passing a note) so that I know what's best to do. I'm a player at heart, afterall, and I'd rather make their playing the main thing. For examples of my playing, check out the 3rd IR or the Psionicle, for examples of my DMing check out the LHHS, LHHS Mini-Game, or Mecha-Crusade when it gets going. You'll notice a finer taste of role-playing in the IR and Psionicle, because I prefer to act out my character when I play, but you'll notice floods of different plot hooks and stuff if you look at my DMing. It just shows you the variance in quality.

Micar Sin

First Post
Well, I guess I'll chime in with a 'ME TOO!'

I've been the GM for 90% of the time our group has been meeting, so about 4.5 years. We know have a couple of players who are capable GM's, so I'm actually getting a chance to play. The problem being that I've found that as a player, its much harder for me to get into character, and I'm not sure why.. I also have the standard things...I.E. being the 'rules guy', jumping on the GM for violating a rule he should know (not fudging, out right not applying the rule to his NPCs, but applying it to the players), etc...

Time to go to that GM's anonymous support group :rolleyes:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
* Stands up on soapbox *

"Hi, my name is Doddi and I'm a bad player..."

wolff96 said:
I'd have to say I'm a better DM than a player for a very simple reason: attention span.
That fits me as well.

It makes for great DMing but poor PCing when you can't control your imagination.

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
DM vs PC

Piratecat said:
Me too, but for different reasons.

Some of the stuff that you find difficult (like a consistent voice) I don't have trouble with. But I'm so used to answering DM questions that I immediately tend to make rules judgments, even when I have no business doing so. It's an awfully hard habit to break.

Ditto,
I have run a game so long that I have almost forgotten HOW to be a player.

the problem is everyone wants to play in agme THE WAT THET THEY WOULD RUN IT.

seasong

First Post
I am a better GM than PC because...

1) I am a control freak.
2) I am too sexy for just one character. Or maybe I have multiple personality disorder. My players think I'm making these worlds up. Heh.
3) I am more interested in the power of the story than how bad a mama jama my character is. Or maybe I am a pretentious, narrativist snob. Either way, my players love me for it.
4) I enjoy GMing more than playing. Or rather, I enjoy being the center of their attention, the nemesis in their hearts, the dark cold place in their nightmares, and the only one who can give them what they need.
5) I am a control freak. My setting. Mine! MINE!

A bit tongue in cheek, but my players would probably agree with every point above.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
THREAD NECROMANCY

I was hunting around in the archives and while I have not had a chance to play a PC on the regular since I first created this thread. .. I think it is still true - and something worth asking the community about again. . .

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
DMing and playing are separate skills. If you don't do one very often, it atrophies like any other skill.
-blarg

ps - there's no statute of limitations on a forum. :)

Aramax

First Post
B_r_a_g!!!!!

I am a great player and a better DM(NOT GM)however if I get bored as a player I can be very disruptive,but the older I get ,I just work on my game while I play and that way I dont FREAK OUT!

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I think I'm OK at both. I'm not fantastic or horrible at either one.

As a player, I think how good I am depends upon how much I end up liking my character and how much the DM gives me opportunities to be some than just a bunch of attack rolls. I am a slow starter with any character, I need time to figure out just how the PC will act and interact with others.

As a DM I think how good I am depends upon the players involvement. I've found I get frustrated with players who have no interest in doing anything with their characters other than make attack rolls.

So, with a good DM I can be a better player and with good players I can be a better DM.

Remove ads