D&D (2024) I am highly skeptical of the Unreal VTT

Reynard

Legend
It could easily just be a subscription. Like my bet on this thing is that any subscribers to Beyond will have access to it, with Adventure's they have purchased being unlocked in it. Maybe some premade sets for sale as well, but it's all customizable.
Subscription tiers are still just "paying to customize." My only statement was that it is silly to believe that WotC won't capitalize on customization in some form.

Reynard

Legend
Less paying to Customize and more paying to use.
No. If their are tiers, you are paying to customize. We have seen it many times before.

But I just want to say: we have NO idea what a pricing structure is going to look like. I just think it is highly unlikely, maybe even impossible, that this thing won't be full of microtransactions and tiered content. But I could be wrong.

No. If their are tiers, you are paying to customize. We have seen it many times before.

But I just want to say: we have NO idea what a pricing structure is going to look like. I just think it is highly unlikely, maybe even impossible, that this thing won't be full of microtransactions and tiered content. But I could be wrong.
We don't know if there will be tiers even. I have no idea why you are assuming the worst of everything, when nothing has happened to make those assumptions.

And tons of people here seem to be hostile to the very idea of the VTT, and I have difficulty understanding why.

Retreater

Legend
Ok. So maybe you won't have to pay to customize your character's appearances, but where are all the assets going to come from? Programmers will need to be paid to render 3D models and to provide options. Just like D&D Beyond has charged for collectible virtual dice skins. And that's fair if people want to pay for that - but it's just a microtransaction for a skin that doesn't really matter to the game. Just like getting a pink bunny suit in a shooting video game.
What I'm more concerned about is if it ties in gameable content behind individual paywalls (which seemed to be hinted at with the physical collectible miniature being shown IRL and also on the game screen. I infer that to say: "Well, you buy a miniature for your in-person game, why not buy the physical token so you can use a black dragon in your VTT game?"
I can easily see this being a new revenue stream.

Remove ads