D&D (2024) I am highly skeptical of the Unreal VTT

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I know its not going to be right for me because when I game online I basically like to use a whiteboard and improvise.

But I also am not the target audience for their digital tools either since DDB is also in that category of "not right for me".

Stormonu

Legend
The only constant is change. Refusing to change does mean one will be out at one point or another.
Yep, and I'm sick of change, especially after 2019-2020. I'll go play with what I already have, just like I did around 4E. I can already see from the UA this edition will have nothing I want.

jgsugden

Legend
Not skeptical that it will come out, but skeptical that it is a good way to play D&D. I honestly believe that the fancier the VTT, the more it detracts from anything not combat, and makes it harder to run things on the fly or even homebrew prepped.

Thoughts?
This can be a real issue - but it is avoidable. Move the PCs to a blank screen when not engaged in combat and use theater of the mind. The distraction goes away. I do this on Roll20 these days - moving the PCs to a white background when the combat ends.

Remove ads