I Am Not Okay With This (spoilers)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I’m not familiar with the American schooling system. The actor is 18, but how old is the character supposed be? They all seem to drive and stuff.
The show is set in the state of Pennsylvania, where the legal driving age is 16. They seem to be in that hazy "junior year of high school" phase that a lot of high school shows are set in, where the characters are 16-17 and mature enough that displays of sexual activity and occasional drug use aren't disturbing, but not at the point where they're having the "what's the next step in my life" discussions that fill media set in senior year (the last year before graduation).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I just finished a 2 day binge after seeing this thread and although the teen angst is a bit grating its short enough to not be a total drag. The characters are kinda stock tropes but they do well for the story.

The mystery elements regarding Syds father and the mysterious stalker help to keep interest as does the development of her powers

I’m not familiar with the American schooling system. The actor is 18, but how old is the character supposed be? They all seem to drive and stuff.
In her introduction. first episode she specifically says shes 17

Personally Im more interested in when the show is set - its got lots of 80s references

Oh, she is clearly not the villain of the piece. She's a scared, bullied teen who impulsively fought back with what turned out to be overwhelming force. That's not villain-of-the-piece material.

the whole set up seemed very X-Men to me, afterall many of the XMen have origin stories in which they accidentally hurt/kill someone because they dont know how to use their powers. It now depends on whether she chooses the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or the more enlightened way as to whether she can be defined as villain or superhero

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
the whole set up seemed very X-Men to me, afterall many of the XMen have origin stories in which they accidentally hurt/kill someone because they dont know how to use their powers. It now depends on whether she chooses the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants or the more enlightened way as to whether she can be defined as villain or superhero
But she has killed somebody. There's got to be consequences for that. You can't just kill somebody and have nobody do anything about it, even if they were being mean to you at the prom.

Janx

Hero
But she has killed somebody. There's got to be consequences for that. You can't just kill somebody and have nobody do anything about it, even if they were being mean to you at the prom.

this seems to bother you more than us. I'm making stuff up, but here in America, our narrative is "it's good to kill the naughty word." It's doesn't hold up in court as often as we'd like (too many women are wrongly convicted in their self defense cases).

But you can bet her lawyer is going to plead not guilty and cite how she was scared for her life, especially after:
he threatened her in public after she outed his affair
he assaulted her in the hallway by slamming her into the locker
he stocked and stole her diary
in violently interrupted a school dance to out her
he one-punch KO'd the only person who tried to defend her (and those can be lethal)
No adult rushed in to stop this, creating an environment of fear and that everybody sided with him once he attacked.

Ladies and gentleman of the jury, anyone can see the writing on the wall and we can only thank god that his hand came down and struck first before anymore harm came. You must acquit this young lady.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
this seems to bother you more than us. I'm making stuff up, but here in America, our narrative is "it's good to kill the naughty word." It's doesn't hold up in court as often as we'd like (too many women are wrongly convicted in their self defense cases).

But you can bet her lawyer is going to plead not guilty and cite how she was scared for her life, especially after:
he threatened her in public after she outed his affair
he assaulted her in the hallway by slamming her into the locker
he stocked and stole her diary
in violently interrupted a school dance to out her
he one-punch KO'd the only person who tried to defend her (and those can be lethal)
No adult rushed in to stop this, creating an environment of fear and that everybody sided with him once he attacked.

Ladies and gentleman of the jury, anyone can see the writing on the wall and we can only thank god that his hand came down and struck first before anymore harm came. You must acquit this young lady.
I'm not talking about law or trials. I'm talking about narrative consequences in the story. A superpower person has made somebody's head explode with overwhelming force -- how do people around her act? What is the long term effect of that, on both her and on those around her? Do people even realize it was her who did it? Will this happen again when she loses control next, or is it a one-off? Or, in short - where does the story go from here, now this game changing event has taken place.

They signposted it earlier with the hamster. The implication is that this isn't a one-off, although we'll have to wait until next year to find out.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm not talking about law or trials. I'm talking about narrative consequences in the story. A superpower person has made somebody's head explode with overwhelming force -- how do people around her act? What is the long term effect of that, on both her and on those around her? Do people even realize it was her who did it? Will this happen again when she loses control next, or is it a one-off? Or, in short - where does the story go from here, now this game changing event has taken place.

Well, sure, but none of that makes her the villain of the piece as you postulated at the beginning of the thread.

Remove ads