• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I begin to worry...

Urlithani

First Post
2)Anime Names Two Words: Emerald Frost. I have a friend who reads a heck of a lot of anime. He has assured me that this is quite the anime name.

Okay, it's not like a spellcaster has to shout out, "EMERRRAAAALD...FROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSST!" when he casts it. Honestly.

It's just a name that sounds about right to what the ability does. I'm not going to say to the DM, "Ok, I cast that spell that's like Cone of cold, but also does damage that's associated with green. Acid or poison or whatever." No, I say "Emerald Frost" and save time, and everyone else knows what I'm talking about. :)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Hussar said:
Throughout the game, we fit the narrative to the dice, so, why change just because we went to high levels.

What Andor and I have been trying to explain is that we look at the mechanics and see that as levels increase there are fundamental changes in the nature of the game driven by this, and the narrative must reflect the changes in the mechanic in our view.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
The question you should ask yourself (if you'd like to present answers, I suggest a more suitable thread):
Why is it bad if ideas or concepts that can be found in video games are transferred to games? Is it uniformly bad, just because everything in a video game must be inherently inferior? Or is it just bad because some mechanics work only in video games due to specifics of how such a game is played compared to how a pen & paper game is played?
Is it impossible for a video game mechanic to work in a pen & paper context? Why was the reverse possible? What is the critical distinction between a video game and a pen & paper game, and which of these are informed purely by mechanics? What are the strength and the weaknesses of each type of game, and which type of mechanics play on these strength or weaknesses, and is it impossible for a mechanic to be independent of it?

Video game rules do not encourage roleplaying. Big example of this was the concern over aggro. The idea that the designers were contemplating an aggro system is worrisome to me. I will not have my players telling me how I should run intelligent monsters because a game designer decided to include aggro rules like those in World of Warcraft.

I would prefer that the design inspiration for a pen and paper RPG was derived from books rather than video games. Video games focus on mechanics, whereas books focus on story. A creative game designer reads a book and figures out how to render an action described only by words into a useable form for an pen and paper RPG.

Nebulous abilities that do things like give bonuses to other party members to hit had better have a literary reason. If the only thinking behind using an ability is its mechanical advantage rather than how it applies from a story standpoint, then that thinking is too much akin to a video game.

If I cannot explain the ability with prose and visualize it as though it were involved in a story, I generally do not want it in my RPG. Then again, I'm one of those people that added in exceptions to the Cleave feat that required the player to follow a particular arc. A player using Cleave can not use a cleave attack on any opponent that satisfies the condition no matter where they are standing. I required that opponent to be in a position where a cleaving type attack was reasonable because I understood the intention of the mechanic from a story perspective.

As long as the abilities designed have a strong story element first and a mechanic second, I won't mind too much. But one thing that will definitely turn me from fourth edition will be any kind of aggro mechanic. I don't want that at all. Who an enemy attacks will be determined by the individual enemy's level of intelligence, their awareness of the capabilities of the players, and the best strategy available to them. None of this crud aggro system taken straight out of WoW.

So as far as your questions go, it'll be wait and see. I do have criteria The main one being that I must be able to imagine the ability occurring. I must be able to visualize the ability working. Nebulous abilities that grant an advantage for no good reason other than to give a useful advatage to a player will affect my decision to pick up the game.

Hussar

Legend
If I cannot explain the ability with prose and visualize it as though it were involved in a story, I generally do not want it in my RPG. Then again, I'm one of those people that added in exceptions to the Cleave feat that required the player to follow a particular arc. A player using Cleave can not use a cleave attack on any opponent that satisfies the condition no matter where they are standing. I required that opponent to be in a position where a cleaving type attack was reasonable because I understood the intention of the mechanic from a story perspective.

Piffle.

"The intention of the mechanic from a story perspective"? What? The mechanics have no intentions whatsoever. You are imposing your view of narrative onto the mechanics.

Just as a question, what happens when the player disagrees with you? What if the player's view of the narrative allows him to cleave that opponent, but yours doesn't? How do you resolve it?

Banshee16

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Had to be done. Wizards have had too many powers for a long time. It worked in OD&D when there were three classes - fighting man, magic-user and cleric - but stopped working as soon as the thief was introduced. What was the point in climb and hide in shadows when the wizard could fly and become invisible?

What's the sense of having a fighter be able to swing a sword, if a rogue can also?

I vote for restricting rogues to only use daggers and saps. Because anything other might confuse the players :)

I'm ready to kick this granularity they're introducing in the game to the curb.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Henry said:
If they had just listened to me years ago, and made falling do CON damage instead of hit point damage, this argument would GO AWAY!!! ;)

I remember reading a post somewhere that claimed that Gygax had said he'd always intended it to be understood that the 1d6/10' fallen was cumulative.

So falling 10' would cause 1d6, 20' would cause 3d6, 30' would cause 6d6, etc.

Much more dangerous..

Banshee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads