I broke my brain...Duel Weilding a Lances on a horse!?!? lol

Satyrn

First Post
Hola!

Things like this lead me to ask one, simple question: "If I saw this in Sam Raimi's Xena: Warrior Princess, would I be thinking...COOL!....or would I be thinking WFT?!?". If it's the latter...then no, it won't work.

^_^

Sat - "That was the Ares that should've been in Wonder Woman" - yrn

(Apologies for the copycatting - it was done with kindly intent)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hiya!

Things like this lead me to ask one, simple question: "If I saw this in Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings, would I be thinking...COOL!....or would I be thinking WFT?!?". If it's the later...then no, it won't work.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

When I saw Gandalf with a longsword in one hand and a staff in another awkwardly flailing about, my reaction was not "COOL!"....

Oofta

Legend
When I saw Gandalf with a longsword in one hand and a staff in another awkwardly flailing about, my reaction was not "COOL!"....

I think it's because of that one dumb scene we have quarterstaves that can be wielded one handed. Another piece of silliness I've removed from my campaign. A quarterstaff is two-handed, a bo stick is one handed. :rant:

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I think it's because of that one dumb scene we have quarterstaves that can be wielded one handed. Another piece of silliness I've removed from my campaign. A quarterstaff is two-handed, a bo stick is one handed. :rant:

In my campaigns I deal with this sort of thing with another easy "tip". If you are using a weapon not as it is intended...then it's either a Club, or a Stick.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Indeed.

He has a perfectly good sword, one of the best in that world even. Why not just use it for all his melee attacks.

"Hmm I can hit you with this amazing Elven sword that will cleave through whatever armor you have, or whack you with my spellcasting focus. I'll opt for the latter"

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Indeed.

He has a perfectly good sword, one of the best in that world even. Why not just use it for all his melee attacks.

"Hmm I can hit you with this amazing Elven sword that will cleave through whatever armor you have, or whack you with my spellcasting focus. I'll opt for the latter"

I blame gamer's notion of two weapon fighting - that it gives you more attacks.

Riley37

First Post
I blame gamer's notion of two weapon fighting - that it gives you more attacks.

I have seen a guy try two-sword fighting in the Society for Creative Anachronism. My reaction was indeed "cool", and he defeated some sword-and-board fighters. So far as I could tell, his advantage wasn't the ability to deliver a higher volume of full-force blows, it was more ways to exploit openings.

In anything other than a one-on-one duel, other disadvantages arise. If hostile archers send a volley your way, blocking arrows with a shield is more reliable than parrying arrows with a pair of swords. Also, a shield is necessary when it's time to form a shield-wall.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did some “bopper sparring” with a group of guys back in the 1990s- one of whom was a Marine, and also in SCA. Like real weapons, most of the weapons weighed between 1.5-5lbs.

One of the more proficient guys was a 6’3”, 330lb bouncer who used 2WF with a sword & dagger. He had biceps bigger than some women’s waists. IOW, he was BIG. (While pretty strong myself, I was only 5’7” and 193lbs.)

He was quite skilled at using crossed blades to trap and redirect blows, with a flowing follow-up counterstrike- often along the line of the redirected weapon.

The thing is, I damn near concussed him the first time we sparred when I used a polearm. The head was @3lbs, the weapon was 6’ long. I held it shoulder high and vertical, its head about 11’ in the air. He charged, and I brought it down.

As powerful as he was, his attempted redirect failed. He “caught” the weapon, but 3lbs being brought down like that on a 6’ pole with my arms fully extended generated enough force that the head and both of his weapons were driven right back into him. Only a last moment juke of his head prevented him from taking his own sword to the face. His tree-trunk arms couldn’t muster enough force to push my strike out of my intended target zone.

He taught a lot of people about how dangerous 2WF could be...but I taught him a lesson about pure applied physics. ;)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have seen a guy try two-sword fighting in the Society for Creative Anachronism. My reaction was indeed "cool", and he defeated some sword-and-board fighters. So far as I could tell, his advantage wasn't the ability to deliver a higher volume of full-force blows, it was more ways to exploit openings.

In anything other than a one-on-one duel, other disadvantages arise. If hostile archers send a volley your way, blocking arrows with a shield is more reliable than parrying arrows with a pair of swords. Also, a shield is necessary when it's time to form a shield-wall.

Indeed. And a skilled two weapon fighter can indeed look cool. The film Gandalf flailing about wasn't.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Two sword (or rapier) fighting was definitely a valid dueling technique in Europe and Japan. Usually attributed to the highest masters.

I've never heard it used as a battlefield technique however.

Edit: Which isn't to say that it hasn't happened. There's a lot of stuff I don't know about, so take it with a grain of salt.

Remove ads