D&D 5E I didn't see it coming (semi-serious speculation of what's next in Next)

Stormonu

Legend
Monk. Ranger. Gnome. Half-Orc.

I'm thinking Ranger would be a good show to get a feel for how people are going to respond to fighter subclasses and what they can do to differentiate them from the standard fighter and "woodsman fighter" background. I'm thinking they won't do paladin as they currently have a fill-in with the cleric.

Gnome would be a nod to it's lack of inclusion in the initial 4E roll-out and a test to should show us how they intend to make them different from dwarves or halfing.

Half-Orc is simply a "power" race, and would be good for testing the upper bounds of what you could do with a melee character.

Monk. Ranger. Gnome. Half-Orc.

Add half-elf, and you've got all the traditional races. Honestly, I'm curious how they'll do it, as it's traditionally been quite gimped other than early-edition multiclassing options. It also doesn't seem to lend itself to subraces. (Half-orc even less so.)

But if they include a number of classic races, I imagine they'll have to also include at least one of tieflings, eladrin, and dragonborn as well.

Of course, another consideration in all this is that they aren't ever going to show us their whole hand. Each playtest has a specific purpose, and there's little point in showing us more than we need to test that purpose.

slobo777

First Post
Yep. But they are surely going to share at least a couple wizard traditions, and illusionist is a classic.

I just can't figure out how they're going to tilt gnomes toward illusions, specifically.

My prediction: They'll hand out a couple of new, illusion-y cantrips or similar either to all Gnomes, or to a sub-race. Ghost Sound and Dancing Lights

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm going to guess Ranger and Assassin...one fightery and one roguey class, neither necessarily automatically magical (without specialties or backgrounds).
Since this version released two arcane casters at once.

That way, also, you can have, for races, Half-elf (rangers) and Half-orc (traditionally an assassin class) AND Gnomes...because...

As they showed the Necromancer specialty this time, they will throw out the 1) a revision of the Necro specialty (if there are enough comments about issues with it) and 2) roll out the Illusionist specialty (presumably using the same formula for definition as the Necro's and seeing if that formula is going to work, across the board for Mage traditions.)

Whatever new spells, skills, backgrounds, and specialities (animal companion rangers, shadow-walking assassins, etc...) they need to for those classes, races and specialties. Plus...

introducing the Ranger and Assassin pretty much demand the inclusion/introduction of the Surprise rules, possibly some kind of "Ambush/Insta-Kill attack", Poison use/creation, and/or (if not lumped in with Poison as a common mechanic) Herbalism/Herbalist healing...and, I guess, whether they are making it a class feature or option, the Animal Companion tables and rules will probably be included as well (so they can tweak as necessary before introducing the Druid...for whom I also hope animal companions are no more than optional).

--SD

My prediction: They'll hand out a couple of new, illusion-y cantrips or similar either to all Gnomes, or to a sub-race. Ghost Sound and Dancing Lights

Possibly. If an Illusionist specialty and/or Illusionist wizard tradition gives some boost to illusion spells, that might provide enough of an impetus.

It will be interesting to see which gnome subraces they have in mind, too.

cmbarona

First Post
I'm guessing they will focus on material that has appeared in the PHB before. Maybe, like the Sorcerer and Warlock, they will focus on one more "classic" class and one "newer" class. I would also guess that they will ride the coat tails of the Fighter's Combat Superiority debut by focusing on at least two martial classes, whether or not the incorporate Expertise Dice into those classes. I'm really hoping to see a Warlord, myself, but I won't hold my breath on that one. They could also take some time to debut the Paladin and see how they can distinguish that class from the Cleric, since they have a lot of potential thematic overlap.

I would also guess that they will debut some new adventuring mechanics. I would like to see a new (and more well-rounded) version of 4E's Skill Challenges, myself.

Remove ads