I die. a lot.

CCamfield

First Post
Silver Moon said:
My luck actually didn't play out much better. In the next major module the DM decided he didn't like my PC and set up to have him killed. So I pulled him out and put in a new character as a relacement, who the DM then subsequently killed and made me play an NPC for the remainder of the module. When I finally got used to that character he then got killed too (in a random dice roll AFTER the module had pretty-much wrapped). So, I guess I feel your pain too.

Wow. And you didn't kill the DM or swear never to game with him again? That's what I'd do. :)

I don't have too many experiences like this, but in the low-level game I'm in now, we were amazed when the fighter didn't get dropped in a fight last week. :D

Wolfspirit

First Post
In the three years that my group has been playing, I've had a total of 5 characters die, and that's not counting the number of guys I've had go to negative 9 or so HP. Sometimes for bravery (Darnit, I'm the paladin here. If anyone's going down it's me). Once because a temporary DM had a trio of save or die plague carrying ghouls climb a crows nest to infect. Once because we were ending a failed campaign and the DM didn't want to take away from me the ability to complain about how often I die.

Mostly, I'm just statisticaly unlucky. 179 times to roll a 20. Huzzah!

Oh, yeah, most memorable death: In a Werewolf game, rolling three '1's on an Ancestor roll to avoid drinking. Result: Alchohol poisoning as I summoned a raging alchoholic Ancestor that proceeded to drink every drop available. It was during a Rank Test too.

Creamsteak

Explorer
When I played some OD&D I think I set a group record of dying 5 times in one game. At least one character was a fighter, one a halfling, one a paladin, one a thief, and something else...

In 3ed I still die very often if I'm playing, unless I'm playing at a total strangers house starting at mid levels... in which case I accidently create a character that's too strong for the campaign and end up feeling disappointed about it.

Probably why I prefer DMing... less threat of getting completely wiped out.

Arc

First Post
I design all my characters with survivability in mind. High ACs, odd abilities that keep them alive, combat tactics that avoid the heat of the fray. Hell, my current/last character (he's dead, might get rezzed next session if our surviving party member doesn't bite it) was a frenzied berserker.

As a result of this character design, I'm a prime target for my DM :) He'll deny it, but it's true.

I've actually had 3 characters survive to the end of a campaign. One managed to avoid permadeath through an obscure combination of spells in an epic game. One went insane and left the party after being stabbed in the back by the rogue (he came back as an NPC). The most recent one was a LE archer who found that thanks to a deck of many things, the party was mostly NG. He just packed bags and left.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Speaking as Arc's DM, I don't target him, I target everybody. But although I've not had as bad death-luck as many here have, I've witnessed plenty, like belly-flops into poisoned pools, diving through ghosts, picking fights with law-enforcement agencies (hence Arc's comments about last surviving PC), and other combinations of natural 1s on their part, natural 20s on my part, and some just stupid decisions.

Demiurge out.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
1E AD&D. Zob the Fighter.

When he was rolled up, he had an 18 Con. In 1E, you lost a point every time you were raised... by the time I left that group (moved cities), his Con was 10.

One night, he had to leave the game for a few hours to take care of something at work. "Look after Zob for me?"

When he got back, he asked how things had gone.

"Um... you died," we told him.
"Oh."
"Um... twice."

Then there was the time he saved the party... by TPK. You see, there were all these ghouls, and everyone else was paralyzed, and he was the last one standing... so he broke his wand of fireballs, which under the rules being used at the time, let off all the remaining charges simultaneously...

Several hours later, Zob woke up, courtesy of his Ring of Regeneration, and then spent a couple of days trying to figure out which charred finger bones belonged to dead PCs, and which to dead ghouls, so he could Regenerate the rest of the party...

And then, there was the time with the devil. Y'see, Zob had a marvellous Constitution, but his Wisdom was pretty dire. And the devil had seen him use his Boots of Levitation. The low Wis made Zob a sucker for the Suggestion - "Why don't we go up there and fight away from all this distraction?"

The Devil had perfect maneuverability, so his attacks were unimpaired. Zob was levitating... which sucks for melee. So Zob wasn't doing so well.

"We'll save him!", we decided. The ranger fired a +4 arrow. The magic-user let of a lightning bolt. The dwarf sent another lightning bolt up, courtesy of his warhammer.

Everything missed the devil, or didn't get past his Magic Resistance. Everything hit Zob.

The amusing thing was... when his Ring of Regeneration got drained by an artifact, Zob stopped dying... :D

-Hyp.

Thresher

First Post
Im kinda 'lucky' in a sense for PC deaths as Im pretty slow to make up something I like to play and dont have a lot of character active or ideas for new ones, though on those odd occassions its always a case of a critical success followed by a pathetic demise after. As an older player Im tend to 'play like I mean it' after years of 1E-2E where being dead really screwed you over so I dont treat it as being blase' like some of my contempory's in the group do.

Think the worst run of character deaths was in CoTSQ, by the time we'd finished we where down to 1 origional character. Our string of bad luck was appalling, we'd avoid encounters that where too tough or unprepared for and sure as crap stinks the enemy would roll a 20 on its spot check and another couple of PC's would eat dirt. It got beyond a joke really and no one enjoyed playing anymore.

Back in 2E we had a dwarf in the group with his 19 con that he was very proud of and ended up like Hypersmurf's fighter, though this character was a greedy bastard and the DM delighted in throwing in the odd cursed item and of course the dorf jumped on anything 'uber' like a horny dog.
His classic deaths
1: Helm of Opposite alignment, he turned CE on us so we ended up hacking him to death when he flipped out.
2: Necklace of strangulation, man, it takes ages for a con19 person to die that way, it was also so hilarious.
3: Not technically 'dead' but the girdle of giant strength that 'removed' the dangly bits nearly killed everyone else from laughing so hard.

Ah cursed items... so many tears... so many laughs...

We also have a player in our group, that was constantly unlucky with his rogues. (He loves to play them, and it suits his style of play best, I think).
Usually, it were tactical errors and mistakes, like engaging enemies to strong for him...

In another campaign, the Monk character died three times in 2 consecutive sessions, I believe. I believe none of them were due to tactical mistakes (the player usually doesn`t do this kind of thing), but more due to bad luck.

In the last session, we had several "near-death"-experiences for a Giant3/Greenbond1 in my AU campaign.
He is a kind of Inspector for the Diamond Throne, and every time he wanted to arrest someone, the battle first went bad (with him dropping or going really low on hp), and than the characters get the upper hand and succeed.
The session was quite funny in regards to rolls and actions - when the player characters decided to knock someone out (dealing subdual damage with -4 penalty), they rolled really well. The weak enemies rolled low, the strong rolled high (several critical hits thanks to weapons like Rapier and Falchion)...

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads