"I don't like my Christmas present" -- do you enjoy getting treasure?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Stingy modules of today make magic items both too rare/and too sucky for highter levels. If players on top of that get "wrong loot" it only is not dissapointing, it also heightens death-rate in game.

For you guys who never play beyond 7th level this doesn't become all that apperant. But I've played/runned many games to 20+. And I saw clear differance when I make my own adventures with mostly random (based on rule suggestion) itemization. When I run modules too it always foces you to sell/craft your own. It's only way to turn that endless +1 crap into useful money and from that to useful items.

If there's too much "wrong loot," maybe your players are over-specializing. There are some pretty nice drops of loot out there (particularly in Council of Thieves), but you either have to adapt them as GM or adapt to them as players.

As far as turning useless little stuff into more useful gear, that's exactly what crafting feats are for. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that you can sell looted gear for half market value and craft for half market value. The idea is you sell the gear you don't want and turn it around via crafting into gear of the same market value. Add in the time to craft and it's a virtually 1:1 conversion.

Remove ads