Level Up (A5E) I have a ridiculously homebrewed 5E campaign and I’m debating on whether to convert it to A5E

Stalker0

Legend
I personally wouldn't convert your players unless you are starting a new campaign with new PCs. I think forcing the change there might be a bit much.

However, I think anything around that is fair game. Bringing in the journey rules, sure. Maybe offering a combat manuever as a special reward (or a special ability of a particular vanguard), yep. A rare spell as a special gift, oh yeah. etc

Aka feel free to add in the LU rules around your players, but I personally wouldn't force a shakeup of the PC races/classes/etc for longstanding characters.

MutterBoutASaurus

Stuck in the Mesozoic
I personally wouldn't convert your players unless you are starting a new campaign with new PCs. I think forcing the change there might be a bit much.

However, I think anything around that is fair game. Bringing in the journey rules, sure. Maybe offering a combat manuever as a special reward (or a special ability of a particular vanguard), yep. A rare spell as a special gift, oh yeah. etc

Aka feel free to add in the LU rules around your players, but I personally wouldn't force a shakeup of the PC races/classes/etc for longstanding characters.
I getcha, and I'm certainly not springing this on my players without warning. We've been talking it over and have come up with the decision to try out the system by running Memories of Holdenshire as a once-off, then make a decision on whether or not to go whole hog after that.

I just meant something to the effect of like, for the big Heroic abilities that are 1/Day, maybe let them burn like 5 Exertion to repeat them beyond that? Just a small way to tie them in to LU systems. Other than that, stapling Follower bonuses on to them seems like it'd be easy and expand them in line with LU, while allowing for standard followers to exist without Vanguard benefits. I feel like you managed to thread the needle of making them flavorful and relevant but without significantly tipping the power scales, so pretty much anything is to taste honestly.
Oh! Oh I understand now. Not a bad idea, although if I do go down that route, I might add in spellcasters also being able to do something similar by sacrificing their highest level spellslot, just so they don't feel out of the loop.

TheHand

Adventurer
There's already a lot of excellent answers here, but I wanted to throw in my thoughts for whether to go 'all-in' on A5e on not. I tend to view A5e as a toolset, where one has the option to use all the tools, but one does not need to. I run two regular 5E based campaigns; in 1, of them my players tend to like to keep things simpler, so I've only introduced a few things that mesh well with vanilla 5e, like "Journeys", "Supply", and the monster builds from the "Monstrous Menagerie" book. In my other group, we've basically gone "all-in", but that group formed when 4th edition was in publication, so they like the more tactical aspects and extra features.

So if you feel like your group desires a bigger feature set, then sure, go for it, but if they're happy with the way things are now (or if they're still getting used to the homebrew rules) you may want to gently introduce A5e tools and see how they like them.

You could even go hybrid (*at the risk of being called heretical ;) ), and give the option to use A5e classes, crafting, maneuvers, et al for those who want it. And those who want to stick with their traditional characters can do so as well. I've had both at the table and they play just fine together (as was the authors' intent!).

Cheers!

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Oh, also worth noting I suppose, if your players are the kinds of people who care about things like racism, queerphobia, ableism, and really just general all around bigotry, it's absolutely better to get away from WotC's 5e immediately. Their thin PR veneer of Rainbow Capitalism does an astonishingly good job of covering up just how regressive of a company they are.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
So folks are aware - WotC's action on diversity, or lack thereof, should not become the topic of this thread. Help the OP make a decision, don't argue over dedication to diversity here.

Remove ads