D&D General I have decided on the ultimate dnd heresy

jgsugden

Legend
Maybe some players. I've never been in a game with players who assumed dragons without already knowing about them ahead of time.
I am having real trouble understanding what you mean. It sounds like you're saying that you never met a player that assumed dragons would be in a game without knowing there were dragons in D&D - which the name kind of gives away.

40 years experience. I've played with hundreds of DMs, and DMed for perhaps a thousand different players. Outside of Athas, Dragons have always had an important role in a setting ... not for every adventure, but absolutely for every campaign that ran the gambit of levels. That was a shoe that always dropped.

Yaarel

He Mage
I am basic themes from the monsters of hellboy, a very different elemental system, my new user image(see below) quintessons and the Yelbeghen to make a rival for dragons and giants...
Is this a "yelbeghen"?

Something like a cross between a non-intelligent dragon beast (drake) and an Aberration mutation?

yelbeghen-quai-long-siberian-19872.jpg

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I am having real trouble understanding what you mean. It sounds like you're saying that you never met a player that assumed dragons would be in a game without knowing there were dragons in D&D - which the name kind of gives away.

40 years experience. I've played with hundreds of DMs, and DMed for perhaps a thousand different players. Outside of Athas, Dragons have always had an important role in a setting ... not for every adventure, but absolutely for every campaign that ran the gambit of levels. That was a shoe that always dropped.
I've never been in a D&D game where players assumed they would face dragons unless the DM told them ahead of time.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Out of all the games I have run and played, I have only encountered two dragons, both in the same campaign. One was a green dragon and the other an undead zombie dragon. The green dragon was in its lair, which I realized after the fight was a garbage place for it to fight (adventure module). The zombie dragon was on this undead mountain as part of this lich force. That one was awesome!

I understand the position, but am mostly curious as to what could replace them. Because in DnD dragons are more than just monsters, they’re symbols of power and magic and fantasy. They describe races and classes and cultures.

Would you include Beholderborn? Beholderblood sorcerers? What would The Purple Beholder Knights be like?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I understand the position, but am mostly curious as to what could replace them. Because in DnD dragons are more than just monsters, they’re symbols of power and magic and fantasy. They describe races and classes and cultures.

Would you include Beholderborn? Beholderblood sorcerers? What would The Purple Beholder Knights be like?
I'm fond of beholders and mind flayers, and I use a lot of undead and constructs in my game. I'm not against dragons, I just don't use them often.

Remove ads