D&D General "I have Experienced What I'd Call 'DM Burnout'" (a poll)

True or False: "I have Experienced What I'd Call 'DM Burnout'"

• True.

Votes: 126 84.6%
  • False.

Votes: 23 15.4%

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I count myself lucky that I have not experienced this. Inspiration can be found everywhere and there are some brain hacks I've figured out over time:
  • Play as much as I DM to recharge the batteries.
  • Watch others DM and play, especially games that aren't great. Think about how to make what the DM was trying to do work better.
  • Keep a calendar of when I have been the most creative or motivated to prep and figure out the pattern, then try to set aside that time as sacrosanct. (Mine is after dinner on weeknights or very late weekend nights.)
  • Break down big projects into tiny pieces and then do at least one tiny piece per day. Slowly prep the next campaign while playing the current one.
  • Booze.

Stalker0

Legend
over 20 years of DMing I've definitely experienced it here and there. Normally I am able to hold it off until a campaign ends, and then take a break, but I have had scenarios where it impacted my campaign and I had to end it early.

Agametorememberbooks

Explorer
Publisher
First, identify that you’re feeling it and acknowledge that it’s ok to feel that way.

Discuss it with your group, and see if other members of the group will run a few one-shots, or two-shots to give you a chance to play as a character and recharge. If not, then you might need a new group of friends because merely ‘taking a break’ isn’t sufficient.

Oofta

Legend
I had to answer true, but it was in a previous edition where we got to epic levels. It became so detached from reality (and combats so slow) that it just became a chore.

Probably didn't help that I was working for a startup and putting in massive amounts of OT. So it was kind of a perfect storm.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Yup. Had it happen after more than a year into a 5e campaign. Wasn't enjoying the campaign as DM, felt like I was fighting the rules, eventually it blocked up any creative energy I had. I shut down the campaign after a minor plot point resolved.

I'm using OSE now, and it feels so much more flexible and open, I'm enjoying myself more. Also exploring Alien RPG, and others, which has been great fun.

Yaarel

He Mage
I had to say, False. Because I have never experienced DM burn out.

But. Every group I am part of takes turns DMing. Typically, each does an adventure. Then the next person volunteers.

My favorite part of this is the shared setting. We each take turns deciding it, playing in it, and new characters are often kids of the previous characters.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think there are at least a few types of GM burnout, and yes I've experienced it.

The first, is just too much going on in your life to be able to dedicate running a great game and taking care of your life. Family, job, school, etc... Burning the candle at both ends can lead to GM burnout. This one is pretty obvious to see coming and doesn't have a lot of options for rectifying. Pass the GM wand or cut some other things out of your life perhaps.

The second, is system burnout. Obviously, this will be dependent on which game and/or edition you are using. Can be a combination of the system just making game prep take too much time, and the beast that high level play can become. This isnt something that is easy to see coming. You need to experience a system before you know how to sidestep this type of burnout. One of the reasons that early on in a new game/edition cycle you have many acolytes enjoying the journey, which eventually gives way to frustrated opinions from GM burnouts.

The third, player attentiveness, buy in, appreciation, playstyle, etc... The GM puts in a ton of effort to deliver a really great session and campaign. The players don't care and just tell fart jokes and cancel half the time. One of the hardest lessons I learned about TTRPGs, is that sometimes your best friends make the worst gamers. This type of burnout can be avoided by screening your players. Either through organized play, one shots, or whatever method you have of ensuring a likeminded playstyle is shared across the table.

Remove ads