D&D General "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Eberron." (a poll)

True or False: "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Eberron."

• True.

Votes: 53 54.6%
  • False.

Votes: 44 45.4%

Maialideth

Explorer
I haven't played in any other campaign setting since Eberron came out, both in 3.5, 4e, and 5e (except when I ran Curse of Strahd, but I used The Mourning as the trigger that sent the players to Barovia, and they returned to Eberron afterwards, where we continued the campaign for 2 more years).

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeah, it's got lot of areas specifically designed to
Putting in blimps and lightning rails while running metropolises with skyscrapers kinda changes the default assumption of most standard D&D adventures.
Like the might railroad, the lightning rail connects Point A and Point B, and not all points in between.

And airships need docking towers. I've seen the incredible pain that comes of people trying to land a blimp.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If you put in the background the things that make the setting unique, why even play in Eberron?
If you're going to run Ghosts of Saltmarsh in Eberron and not put blimps and robots in it, why not just keep it in Greyhawk?
There are interesting factions, history between dragons and giants, and all sorts of standard fantasy that is unique to Eberron. I get that seemingly not being appealing, I didn't dig it at first either, but after experiencing it I enjoy it. Eventually, you can slowly let the weird in and spice up the game so its not all at you at once.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yep, I've played it. I'm still playing it, actually. (Our DM has told us that we're heading to the grand finale soon, though, and that the campaign is drawing to a close.) It's been fun! It's a bit more 'magi-tech' than I'm used to, and I can see how it might not appeal to everyone. Eberron's overall vibe reminds me more of video game franchises like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, and less like fantasy fiction books like Lord of the Rings or A Game of Thrones.

It's not something I would want to play every time, but certainly worth checking out if you're a fan of MMORPGs and Square-Enix.

Yora

Legend
The one part of Eberron I find somewhat interesting is the West Coast. Demon Wastes, Eldeen Reaches, Shadow Marches, Darguun. If I would get invited to an Eberron campaign and the GM asks us what region we prefer, that would be my pick.

But it's still not that interesting that Eberron would be my choice for setting in general. There are so many other settings I would want to play more than that.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you put in the background the things that make the setting unique, why even play in Eberron?
If you're going to run Ghosts of Saltmarsh in Eberron and not put blimps and robots in it, why not just keep it in Greyhawk?
Because it has plenty of interesting stuff just including the normal stuff for a kitchen sink fantasy campaign setting.

It has interesting dieties and takes on religion. It has a really nice map with room for all sorts of standard adventures. It has an interesting take on the outer planes if your game moves into planar adventures.

Basically, it does all the same stuff that FR or Greyhawk already do, but also has interesting stuff on top of that if you want it.

Remove ads