D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Can anyone who has read the trap section tell me if there is anything about rolling for trap DCs, as opposed to static trap DCs?

Cheers!

Not sure what you mean by that. There's just the save DC dangers and each one has a range of what the DC could be. No rolling involved, so I suppose that's a no.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Not sure what you mean by that. There's just the save DC dangers and each one has a range of what the DC could be. No rolling involved, so I suppose that's a no.
ah.... I mean in the playtest there was a time when you rolled for trap DCs, they were not set. It avoids the problem of static trap DC vs static passive perception = auto spot/fail (ie, the DM, when assigning trap DCs, knowing the party's best passive perception, already knows whether the trap will be spotted when he places it, ie... a problem). It's quite houseruleable but somewhat annoying they didnt fix it, especially given that at least one dev tweeted about the problem and suggested fix.

Still, on the whole not a big deal.

What is the disclaimer this time?

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast does not officially endorse the following tactics, which are guaranteed to maximize your enjoyment as a Dungeon Master. First, always keep a straight face and say OK no matter how ludicrous or doomed the players’ plan of action is. Second, no matter what happens, pretend that you intended all along for everything to unfold the way it did. Third, if you’re not sure what to do next, feign illness, end the session early, and plot your next move. When all else fails, roll a bunch of dice behind your screen, study them for a moment with a look of deep concern mixed with regret, let loose a heavy sign, and announce that Tiamat swoops from the sky and attacks.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I've heard that the morale in the DMG are based on Wisdom checks. Can any of you fine DMG owners provide some more detail on the morale rules for this poor bloke that has to wait until the 9th for his DMG to ship?

Morale is a DC 10 Wisdom save for the creature or group leader. If the opposition is overwhelming, save is made at disadvantage. (DM can also say the save auto fails.) Saves are made when creature/NPC is surprised, reduced to half or less hit points the first time in combat, has no way to harm opponent. Groups may flee if all are surprised, the leader is killed, captured, etc, or the group loses half or more of its total number while the opposition suffers no losses.

Grazzt

Demon Lord

What's odd is if you set a trap's danger to Setback, say the party has two characters affected by it. One 4th level, one 5th level. The 4th level character takes 1d10 damage. The 5th level character takes 2d10 damage. From the same trap. :) (I'd never play it that way as DM, but it's something odd I noticed.)

Remove ads