D&D 5E I just confirmed Arcavios(Strixhaven) IS dmsguild legal

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yet they say they aren't merging the multiverses yet, but the crossover books, free adventures with AFR that had a Ravnican villian in the Forgotten Realms, and the cards say otherwise.
Eh, why put a spotlight on it if it just works?

Just keeping pitting D&D stuff in again, and Magic stuff in D&D, over time it just normalizes.

Eh, why put a spotlight on it if it just works?

Just keeping pitting D&D stuff in again, and Magic stuff in D&D, over time it just normalizes.

I like honestly and clarity in people I do business with and I think fans deserve honesty instead of a stealth merger while saying something totally different officially. I'm okay with a merger if done right or D&D versions of these settings in the official D&D multiverse, but be honest with folks, folks like Scribe deserve the truth, not double speak.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like honestly and clarity in people I do business with and I think fans deserve honesty instead of a stealth merger while saying something totally different officially. I'm okay with a merger if done right or D&D versions of these settings in the official D&D multiverse, but be honest with folks, folks like Scribe deserve the truth, not double speak.
They aren't being dishonest, per se, just seeing where customer demand takes them step by step. Clarity isn't always possible or desirable.

Nope, the first and only Strixhaven/MtG card set came out this year, as is the only other major products for it, the Commander 2021 and Strixhaven: Cirriculum of Chaos. This is what make S:CoC so surprising, it was being written for a completely untested (at the time) setting.
They where created in tandem. It wasn't a case of "we made this magic set, why don't we turn it into a D&D set", it was a case of "we have this idea, which we can use for both MTG and D&D". The timing gives it away.

dave2008

Legend
I took a quick look at the book at Chapters as I had to cancel my order because of money issues, and I noticed Strixhaven also refers to nor only the Feywild, but directly says also that Witherbloom students draw their magic from the Negative and Positive Energy Planes. Is this book MtG canon?

If they keep this up they will either have to create D&D parallel versions of Theros, Ravnica, Arcavios, and maybe Kamigawa, etc..., or merge the settings otherwise fans are just going to get more and more confused. I think creating parallel versions will create less backlash then merging and the MtG Netflix cartoon is going to create their own versions of the MtG worlds, so no reason D&D can't.
It was my understanding that the D&D stuff is not canon for the card game. They specifically said the FR was not canon for MtG for example.

Personally I don't care one way or the other.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They where created in tandem. It wasn't a case of "we made this magic set, why don't we turn it into a D&D set", it was a case of "we have this idea, which we can use for both MTG and D&D". The timing gives it away.
Well, based on the product schedules, the card side of Strixhaven would have been in production for Magic for over a year before the D&D studio would have started on the book, and indeed the cards would have Ben in the final stages of playtesting. But they certainly decided to go with a D&D book well before they knew how the cards would be received.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Clarity is always desirable and when you say one thing and do something very different that is dishonest.
On a second date, it would be extremely odd to declare a long term intention to marry a partner, even of that was an idea germinating already. Neither dishonest or unclear to be noncommittal early on in a relationship.

Similarly, with the merger of the D&D and Magic fictional worlds is in early days, and they are taking it step by step, slow and easy. It has been very profitable, however, so the writing is on the wall.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was my understanding that the D&D stuff is not canon for the card game. They specifically said the FR was not canon for MtG for example.

Personally I don't care one way or the other.
They said that...but at the same time saying maybe it could be in the future if it was received well. And lo, it was received very well indeed.

Remove ads