D&D 5E I just don't see why they even bothered with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My sources was the combined reading of the "Crowdsourcing industry report of 2014 from the Canada Crowdsourcing magazine, Blog posts from various newspapers and magazines talking about the new phenomenon, and comparing those to article and blog posts about the affects of online retail stores like Amazon on brick and mortar stores in general. From those articles, it said that 98% of kickstarter projects end up being sold in online stores, and the crowdsourcing magazine spoke how every business and sector has been impacted by crowdsourcing as users have less money to spend in retail during the holidays.

Again, this is not a citation. You are making the assertion that a given source supports your point, so you need to provide a link (or at least the exact title of the publication, it's date, and authors) to it, rather than just saying "I read it in some issue of a particular magazine."

It was a single source, so I provided my estimates. I won't hold my breath for you to actually answer any questions posed to you without some sort of odd, debate retort.

You think it's odd that a debate would have the characteristics of a debate? You're the one saying that that Kickstarter hurts retailers; if you can't back that up, you have no right to impugn others for not doing the same.

EDIT: As for your question of "how many successful Kickstarter projects are sold in an FLGS," I'm honestly not sure why you think that number is relevant. That said, none of my points were based around specific units of Kickstarted materials being sold in brick-and-mortar stores.

In other words, you're asking me to cite sources for a claim I never made. Pointing that out isn't dodging the question, it's demonstrating that it's pointless.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nobody is asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet, implicitly or explicitly. It is a method of selling products direct to consumer, unquestionably, and WOTC doesn't have an online storefront, which is stupid easy to setup and low impact. They don't want to sell direct to consumer, their site directs you to physical stores.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Nobody is asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet, implicitly or explicitly.

Mirtek would seem to disagree.

It is a method of selling products direct to consumer, unquestionably, and WOTC doesn't have an online storefront, which is stupid easy to setup and low impact. They don't want to sell direct to consumer, their site directs you to physical stores.

I'd nitpick that it's not a sales venue, even if you can acquire products as a reward for pledging.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, it's been very "interesting" to have this "discussion" with someone so "intelligent." ;)

Oh, it has, has it?

How interesting is it going to be with moderators looming over you because you've gotten insulting?

Be respectful. Be civil. Don't take sly digs at people. Pretty simple.

It's not an article, it's a blog that some guy wrote.
And the difference between a blog and an article is?
That's an additional hominim fallacy. Castinbg doubt on the author without actually arguing against any of their points.
Your previous response was also begging the question (Kickstarter isn't as store because they say they're not a store).
Do you have any non-fallacious arguments to make?

I would agree that Kickstarter is not *just* a store, or is not a traditional store, in the same way eBay is not a store. But it can be used as such. And RPG companies in particular are employing it as an e-store.

garnuk

First Post
I'm going to assume that you're asking for a quote with regards to people asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet, since you seem to grant that the alternative topic (that Kickstarter harms retailers) is being made.

With that regard, I'll direct you to Mirtek's post where he says:

So that's at least one person asserting that Kickstarter is a retail outlet that companies use.

Fascinating... In that quote, he explicitly says that Kickstarter itself does not do what he would call "a form of retailing", which itself is not the same as "is a retail store". Rather its the company that makes the product who is engaged in a form of retailing.. which again is not the same as saying that the company who started the project, nor Kickstarter is a retail store.

He spent the time and effort to qualify his statement, I find it kind of rude to claim it says something that it goes out of its way to not say.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Why are people giving examples if it is not to counter my point?

Because when the topic is raised, it's assumed people are interested in whatever examples are out there. It doesn't have to be to prove someones point or disprove their point, it can just be examples to frame the context of the topic raised. Generally speaking if someone is trying to disprove a point, they say that. You jumped to a conclusion, and then double and tripled down on it even after people pointed out it was a strawman and nobody had said they were claiming their example made something common or uncommon.

It was sort of like someone saying, "I wonder if it's raining all over the city?" and three people chime in from different parts of the city saying if it is or is not raining there. They're not trying to prove or disprove anything, they're just offering information for others to use in trying to answer that question.

What's even funnier is IF someone had give some examples like that without mentioning if they were trying to prove or disprove your point, the odds were equal that they were trying to prove your point. For instance, if you think 1 out of 6 players playing multiple games supports your point - and the person saying that isn't also claiming it disproves your point, don't you think it's possible it's being said to support your point? You immediately assumed everyone was against you merely by them giving examples. You know, people can be on your side, or neutral, sometimes.

Last edited:

Remove ads