I just read the suggested system specs for the D&D Insider Apps

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Propheous_D said:
I mean there are people who still play with counters vs miniatures. I love miniatures but I will play with counters just as easily.

Do you know how long it took me to convince my players that PCs represented by unpainted miniatures tend to die horribly, and first?

Am I going to have to do the same thing with unshaded digitial miniatures?

I guess I am.

(contact)

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
Do you know how long it took me to convince my players that PCs represented by unpainted miniatures tend to die horribly, and first?

I guess I am.

I do believe that elf over yonder is lookin' at you funny.

Wulf Ratbane said:

I guess I am.
You're a very, very cruel man.

On the off-chance that you and I ever meet on the DDI "lobby", I'd feel really tempted to play in one of your games. ;)
But then, this would apply to a lot of the ENWorlders. ;)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
On the off-chance that you and I ever meet on the DDI "lobby", I'd feel really tempted to play in one of your games. ;)

You know what? That one sentence just got me more excited about 4e/DDI than anything I have seen so far. Somehow it just made it seem like a real opportunity.

EDIT: And you know what else? Since (contact) is here, I should add that I would pay movie ticket prices to play in a RToEE run by (contact). That's over and above whatever the DI costs me. As in, "Send me 10 bucks by PayPal and you tell me the name of the character to allow into my game on Saturday afternoon" kinda thing.

I bet that sort of thing goes on a lot, for as long as it takes WotC to crack down on it.

Last edited:

drjones

Explorer
If they have stolen anything form the wow business model it is low system reqs. What you quoted seems well and truly low. As 3d apps I would assume there will be considerable tweaking that will let you set it to low poly/rez to run it on slower machines. And I believe it was previously quoted that the figures started out in 2d and then you could rotate up to see them fully but I have not seen this myself.

And yeah as said above you can run anything on a dual boot mac. Except a unix program I suppose, not that I can think of any. I was going to say emacs but I think there is a version in the OS X core. Welcome to my rat hole.

I doubt I will use anything but the rules DB myself but I think that if you have A. the internet and B. play dnd and C. can afford 12 bucks a month you have a good enough computer to use this thing easily.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
...I bet that sort of thing goes on a lot, for as long as it takes WotC to crack down on it.

If that's not already part of their long term business plans I'll be extremely surprised.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Enkhidu said:
If that's not already part of their long term business plans I'll be extremely surprised.

I don't see any way for them to realistically prevent it.

I also don't really see any reason for them to want to. They should pray they have DMs popular enough to put out a Tip Jar.

drothgery

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Currently writing from my work laptop, which is about 2 years old, and it's not 2.6Ghz. It's a little over 2Ghz, which I'm sure would be fine, but I highly doubt I have Shader support on this graphics card.

Given that the recommend minimums on the CPU side were a P4 2.6 GHz or an Athlon XP 2400+ (i.e. a 2 GHz K7), a 2GHz+ Core Duo or Core 2 Duo (which is what you'd find in an Intel-based laptop in 2006) is certainly going to be fine there. And I think even two years ago, Intel's awful integrated graphics were DirectX 7 capable.

Argyuile

First Post
Does 512 Ram and a 2.6 GHZ proc seem just a tad strange to anyone else? That seems to me to be relatively speaking a huge amount of processing power vs a minuscule amount of RAM.

Remove ads