• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I killed the Iconics. Twice in one night.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Just picked up Scourge of Worlds, which is a lot of fun...but we've gone through it twice, and killed Lidda, Mialee and Regdar twice now. Well, technically three times, if you count the time we didn't make it to the ending.

And they're not nice endings, either. Talk about Iuz Triumphant.

Yeesh.

I'm just not sure which death ending was more horrible. :p

Iced Tea

First Post
Did you happen to kill Devis and replace him with Gimble? And is Scourge of the worlds a good campaign? I am thinking about running a campaign for some relatively new gamers who dont know a whole lot about the rules so would you recomend this?

WizarDru

Adventurer
Scourge of Worlds is the D&D DVD. It uses cgi and is essentially a DVD menu-driven version of the old 'pick-your-path' adventures of old. It's rather amusing to see spells cast and guess which ones are which (though Mialee really depends on those magic missles) and hear references to Greyhawk. I had to pull out my map at one point, to verify where they were (Keoland, at the start, if you were wondering).

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Yeah, got Scourge myself this week. I must say I was surprised so far, all the endings I've gotten to have been pretty dark; it's not full of the happy, "good must prevail" endings and choices that I was expecting. Especially surprising was picking all the "good" choices (IMO, trusting your old friend and listening to the concerns of your party members) ended up w/ a TPK :)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Gnarlo said:
Yeah, got Scourge myself this week. I must say I was surprised so far, all the endings I've gotten to have been pretty dark; it's not full of the happy, "good must prevail" endings and choices that I was expecting. Especially surprising was picking all the "good" choices (IMO, trusting your old friend and listening to the concerns of your party members) ended up w/ a TPK :)

Yeah, I was more than a little suprised. The two endings I've seen so far are not just unpleasant, they border on gruesome. It is interesting to see how some scenes play differently, depending on your choices.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
This product sounds intriguing. Where can I get one? And how much is it? Is it really worth the money? What about replay value, etc.? Does it use real (human) actors or is it animated?

Zogg

First Post
Yea, I played the demo - down to every possible choice. I'm waiting to buy the collector's edition DVD this fall - it's supposed to have more ending possibilities.

(twiddles thumbs, looks at clock)

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Wolfen Priest said:
This product sounds intriguing. Where can I get one? And how much is it? Is it really worth the money? What about replay value, etc.? Does it use real (human) actors or is it animated?

We got it for about $22 at Barnes& Nobles. They didn't have it in stock, so we ordered it. A special edition is planned, with two more endings, I think, for September.

It is computer animated, DVD-only. The animation is pretty good, as is the voice-acting. Ed Stark was involved at some level in the production, and it takes place in the Greyhawk setting. While viewing, you'll recognize quite a few spells, and references are made the Suloise Empire, the Baklunish, the Dreadwood, and other Greyhawk info.

Is it worth it and how much replay does it have? Those are more complex and ultimately personal questions. I think it was worth it, but I'll just lend it to my players. The replay value, I would assume is moderately limited, since you there are only four endings, and a finite number of branches on the adventure's 'tree'. We've played through it twice, so far, and found several scenes play out differently or don't even occur, depending on what choices you make.

Ultimately, it's a novelty. But a fun one. We've spent about two-and-a-half hours with it, so far, so we've easily gotten the normal DVD's use out of it, and we're not done with it. YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads