D&D 5E I made a monster invisible to dark vision. Hilarity ensued.

The Glen

Legend
Was trying to come up with unique abilities for some custom creatures. Enter the Gaz-Thoul, a variant of the classic creature that wad more reliant on its ghoul heritage. For a kick I gave it naturally occurring invisibility to dark vision as it hides out in caves so it's hunting demi-humans normally.

Party went into the cave consisting of 1 human and 5 not humans. Two elves take watch for a rest, and the thouls attack. Everybody is scrambling to get up but nobody can see their attack despite all but one having dark vision. When the human is able to get a torch out of his pack and light it all the gaz-thouls immediately become visible. Then the party was able to defeat them with only a little difficulty, they were only CR2. Then the dwarf defiled the corpses out of spite.

Think I found a new favorite ability.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Cool. Don't forget that characters relying solely on darkvision have disadvantage to Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight which can mean they get surprised more often. The thouls in this case might have had a good chance to attack with surprise.

I was just reading the 1979 Judges Guild adventure, Operation Ogre, and I was struck by the number of times the module included "this or that creature is invisible to infravision beyond 30 feet." From my recollection, it was not unusual to have room temperature monsters just not show up using infravision.

Now, these days, throwing a creature at the PCs that's invisible to Darkvision, that's just fiendish and I applaud you.

Remove ads