I miss Dual Classing and the power of nostalgia

diaglo

Adventurer
FireLance said:
That argument works okay for elves, gnomes and dwarves, but falls apart completely when applied to half-orcs (who, IIRC, had shorter life spans than humans).
there are no half orcs in OD&D(1974)
edit: and gnomes are dwarves.

Ranger REG

Explorer
diaglo said:
dual classing.

PC spends his entire life upto the point when he goes on his first adventure training or becoming Class X.

and then in a few short adventures suddenly wants to become class Y.

um.... it takes time. or concentration. falling back on your original class means you um... broke your concentration. all those gains are lost.

whereas demihuman X. lives a long darn time. and has multiclassed. b/c they live a long darn time.
It's a misnomer.

In case you have forgotten, the 1e bard requires you to dual-class fighter and thief before taking the bard class. IOW, you can take as many class you like. You just have to retire the old before taking on a new one.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Ranger REG said:
It's a misnomer.

In case you have forgotten, the 1e bard requires you to dual-class fighter and thief before taking the bard class. IOW, you can take as many class you like. You just have to retire the old before taking on a new one.

If i remember correctly the bard was the exception to the rule. I recall a "two class max" for humans, except bards. Half elves multi-classed, except when they intended to be a bard, in which case they changed classes using the same rules as humans.

Bards were outside the regular rules and an optional class (even though they were in the PH).

diaglo

Adventurer
tenkar said:
Bards were outside the regular rules and an optional class (even though they were in the PH).
they were in The Strategic Review first.
i don't allow them as a PC class. never have. never will.

Psion

Adventurer
phoenixgod2000 said:
So is anyone else feeling the second ed nostalgia now or is it just me? And what did you think of dual classing?

I get nostalgia over certain things in 1e and 2e. Old adventures, settings, the original form and background of creatures that have been altered, etc.

The way that multiple classes were handled was not one of the things I am nostalgic about. I find the more straightforward approach of adding qualities from different class levels preferable to variety of special rules and cases that it took to make dual classing and multi-classing work.

SuStel

First Post
Class-switching came about because a magic-user character ended up on Mars, where no magic was available. So Gary let him convert the class to a fighter. Then they decided to write a rule for it, and now everybody whines about how it makes no sense.

It's just a game, not a simulation. "Dual-classing" versus "multi-classing" is just meant to further demonstrate the dominance of humanity over the non-humans, just like level limits.

Remove ads