• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I miss seeing xp-comments

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I would also be happy to see xp comments.

At the least, I'd like to be able to tell how much xp has been given to particular posts, if not the associated comments.

I'm down for a "Turn XP Comments On/Off" button, much like that for Signatures, in Settings.

Either way, Morrus, I'm happy with waiting. Keep up all the good work on the important stuff!

LightPhoenix

First Post
I don't have a problem with the visible representation of giving experience, although I prefer how it is currently (I can bore with the detailed reasoning if someone really wants).

What I do have a problem with is comments that are basically "Me too!" posts that don't add any value to discussion. The whole XP comment system especially lends itself to that style of comment. If the comments don't contribute anything, there's no real point to showing them. I think Mark CMG has the right idea as a compromise; show the users who gave experience, but not the comments.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
What I do have a problem with is comments that are basically "Me too!" posts that don't add any value to discussion. The whole XP comment system especially lends itself to that style of comment. If the comments don't contribute anything, there's no real point to showing them. I think Mark CMG has the right idea as a compromise; show the users who gave experience, but not the comments.

I see that as an advantage of showing the comments. It's a place for the "Me too!" comments that is visible, but not disruptive to the flow of the conversation.

Starfox

Hero
I miss the visible Xp posts a lot, both making them, reading them, and getting them. I feel this has much higher priority than most other restoration efforts. I agree this was the single best new feature in a long, long time. Possibly the best new feature ever.

If they were a bother to edit at admin, I see several options:

* Less prickly admins.
* Make it easier to edit them
* Add an option for members not to display Xp comments to their posts
* An option for readers not to see any posted Xp comments
* Never display the Xp posts of an ignored user, the system will not accept Xp from an ignored user to your posts
* Add an option to make individual Xp comments invisible, accessible both to admins and to the poster who was commented

Of curse, all of this entails more work. But as upgrades go, I feel this one is very much worth the effort.

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
One of the main reasons I like this is that I can give a short reply top an early post in a long thread without getting into post necromancy. The main thrust of the thread might have gone elsewhere entirely, but I can still post a minor comment on an early post without derailing the discussion. I can even add Xp to years-old threads. The author will be notified, but the thread is not revived.

Another use is the "I agree" post noted above. I can quote the specific part I agree with.

It can also be used to avoid threadjack while still leaving a comment. Say I come up with a tangential idea, or like something in a post that is not strictly relevant to the discussion at hand - I can use Xp comments to post this in an unobtrusive way.

It encourages the handing out of Xp. Without Xp comments, there is not much point to having Xp at all. And we all like Xp, right? I know I do.

About the only part I disagreed with the old system was the repeat Xp limiter, that I felt was a bit too tight. I agree there should be a limit, but I feel it should have been less limiting. Maybe make it a time limit - such as no repeat within 3 hours. Should prevent spam without being a hindrance.

I sometimes feel the need for anti-xp, handing out small demerits to a post in a similar way. But on second though I don't think this would be a good feature - too much potential for bitterness and infighting. And I suppose this ties in with the abuses people have noticed above - misusing Xp comments to give snide remarks is just that, a misuse.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can't say I have much of an opinion one way or the other, but it seems to me like XP and post comments are really logically different things. It seemed like there were sometimes comments that I assume granted XP but didn't necessarily seem to agree with the post that strongly (if at all).

Remove ads