• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I miss seeing xp-comments

I too would like to see XP on posts come back. I think it adds value to the site by

• Highlighting posts that the community thought was interesting, insightful, or humorous.
  • Encouraging me (and I'm sure others) to strive to make every post I add XP worthy.
  • Allow a user to publicly praise a good post without making a new post to simply praise it.

Any feature brings the opportunity to misuse it and those who choose to do that should suffer the wrath of the mods. Fear of misuse should not be a reason to remove (or fail to implement) the system.

The public XP system added to my enjoyment of the site and I hope it returns.

Starfox

Hero
I can't say I have much of an opinion one way or the other, but it seems to me like XP and post comments are really logically different things. It seemed like there were sometimes comments that I assume granted XP but didn't necessarily seem to agree with the post that strongly (if at all).

Post comments that are not related to xp could quickly grow into mini-threads themselves. While this is doable, a threaded forum is generally more confusing than it is worth. By linking comments to xp, you give an incentive to keep comments short and positive and avoids comment arguments. If you want to argue, you have to do so in a separate post. I find that this worked well in the old forum.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I too would like to see XP on posts come back. I think it adds value to the site by

• Highlighting posts that the community thought was interesting, insightful, or humorous.
  • Encouraging me (and I'm sure others) to strive to make every post I add XP worthy.
  • Allow a user to publicly praise a good post without making a new post to simply praise it.

Any feature brings the opportunity to misuse it and those who choose to do that should suffer the wrath of the mods. Fear of misuse should not be a reason to remove (or fail to implement) the system.

The public XP system added to my enjoyment of the site and I hope it returns.

All of this x2. Hope it finds its way back eventually.

Rune

Once A Fool
I still do so, but a lot less. And I've received a lot less, but that may or may not be related (no way to know, really).

Ranes

Adventurer
Post comments that are not related to xp could quickly grow into mini-threads themselves. While this is doable, a threaded forum is generally more confusing than it is worth. By linking comments to xp, you give an incentive to keep comments short and positive and avoids comment arguments. If you want to argue, you have to do so in a separate post. I find that this worked well in the old forum.

All true. Good points. But I still preferred seeing comments. I think the good outweighed the bad.

(But I'm going to XP you for a valid point anyway.)

Remove ads