D&D 5E I need a cleric that gains a extra attack per round at 5th or 6th or something.....

GameOgre

Adventurer
Everyone in my group hates playing healers BUT one guy. He always loved being a 3.5/Pathfinder Cleric.

He always did tend to be a melee cleric though. He loves to wade into combat and dish out the hurt by hand and use his spells for buffing before a fight and healing mostly afterwards.

When it came to 5E he was excited about the War Cleric but quickly lost his excitement. He has since asked me to look into finding a way for him to gain a extra attack every round even if it means giving up his War Cleric feature of extra attacks for wisdom bonus ect..

Now I could just remove that feature and give him a extra attack at 6th level and call it a day"and still might if I cant find something within the rules" but I/we would like to find something legal.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe Paladin 5/ cleric 15 ? Is there a better way?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I'd not, because the casting stat is so different. Why not just have him switch to being a Paladin full on?

The thing about Cleric is that they get other features to keep melee damage at least competitive, such as the 8th level Divine Strike feature. You're never gonna do as much damage.

However, if you don't want him to change, have him multiclass into Fighter. Five levels of Battlemaster Fighter will make him feel better, I think; unless he wants a Gish, then he'd be better off switching domains to Arcana Domain for Green-Flame Blade.

mellored

Legend
Aracana cleric/multi-class wizard/magic initiate feat and use booming blade or green flame blade. It's not multi-attack, but it's more melee damage.

Also consider valor bards. They can be pretty cleric-like and have multi-attack.

Or moon druid.

If your looking to multi-class, blade warlock is probably your best bet. Multi-attack, and a bunch of spells slots which can be used for buffs or heals.

Everyone in my group hates playing healers BUT one guy. He always loved being a 3.5/Pathfinder Cleric.

He always did tend to be a melee cleric though. He loves to wade into combat and dish out the hurt by hand and use his spells for buffing before a fight and healing mostly afterwards.

When it came to 5E he was excited about the War Cleric but quickly lost his excitement. He has since asked me to look into finding a way for him to gain a extra attack every round even if it means giving up his War Cleric feature of extra attacks for wisdom bonus ect..

Now I could just remove that feature and give him a extra attack at 6th level and call it a day"and still might if I cant find something within the rules" but I/we would like to find something legal.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe Paladin 5/ cleric 15 ? Is there a better way?

The spiritual weapon spell.

As a 2nd level spell, your cleric can start using it at 3rd level, dealing out a respectable 1d8 + WIS per attack.

It's a bonus action to cast, so your player won't lose his attack action on the first round of combat.

It scales up with spell level, up to 4d8 + WIS as an 8th level spell.

It's a bonus action for it to attack, so it's basically an extra attack. And since it can move around, it doesn't even have to be the same target the cleric is attacking.

It doesn't require Concentration, which frees up options for other spells the cleric may want to cast.

The only downside is that it only lasts a minute, but few combats are going to last over 10 rounds. And, if it does look like the battle is going to be a long slog, well, it can be cast again. As someone who enjoys playing melee-focused clerics myself, I have no qualms using up spell slots to cast this spell whenever it seems necessary.

Last edited:

Grakarg

Explorer
Whats wrong with him Dual wielding? Attack action attack and bonus action used as an attack, boom- two attacks a round just like he wants.

He has protective spells to make up for the lack of a shield too.

With all the options the other posters have also mentioned as well, there are plenty of options.

Satyrn

First Post
oh, and by the way, at 8th level the war cleric's Divine Strike is an Extra Attack equivalent, adding bonus damage like cantrips do at higher levels. Has your player forgotten this feature, or would he prefer an Extra Attack instead?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd second the idea of making him a Paladin - you can heal and smite and get extra attacks. Not even much of a need for a multiclass unless there's particular spells you want.

Horwath

Legend
oh, and by the way, at 8th level the war cleric's Divine Strike is an Extra Attack equivalent, adding bonus damage like cantrips do at higher levels. Has your player forgotten this feature, or would he prefer an Extra Attack instead?

This, maybe it wouldn't be overpowered that at lvl8 instead of +1d8 extra damage on an attack you gain extra attack feature.

Hell, if bladesinger wizards can have it at lvl6 why not war clerics at lvl8.

Alternatively, if you don't mind some serious house-ruling, have him play a College of Valor bard, but use the cleric spell list instead of the bard spell list. (And swap out a few of the minor details, like holy symbols instead of instruments and such.)

Remove ads