• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need a Latin translation, please

Nyaricus

First Post
So, I'm working towards getting my first few tattoos (yay!) and I want to have a couple Latin phrases done up (one being the famous quote "alea iacta est" by Suetonius and used by Caesar) buuuuut I need something else.

I want to get a tattoo of a phrase that would roughly translate to "art is life". Specifically, when I say art I mean any and all forms of it - drawing, music, writing, anything. Is there a latin phrase out there which means the same? Or could someone with knowledge of the language give me some help here? I'll give you a intarwebz cookie :D

cheers,
--N

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Give me a day or two to think about it. It's been so long since my latin studies that I'm not sure anymore. I think it would be someting like Ars Vita Est but I have to consult my grammar books before making definites here.

Last edited:

Blackrat

You could consider this already existing phrase

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

The direct translation is Art lasts long, life is short, and it roughly means that ones life is short and insignificant but art is going to last forever.

Nyaricus

First Post
Blackrat said:
You could consider this already existing phrase

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

The direct translation is Art lasts long, life is short, and it roughly means that ones life is short and insignificant but art is going to last forever.
Oooo, I like that one. Have any others kicking around? :D

Blackrat

Can't remember right now. If you're not in a terrible hurry I could try and find a book I have stashed somewhere. It has tons of such famous and less famous phrases. But that will have to wait at least until next weekend.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could also do some modern variation on an old favorite.

For instance, "Carthago Delendum Est" means "Carthage must be destroyed," and was uttered as the last words of every speech Cato the Elder gave as he urged his fellow Romans towards war on the rising power of Carthage...which he eventually got.

So, given your musical tastes, how about "Corporate Rock Delendum Est?" :D

Atanatotatos

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
You could also do some modern variation on an old favorite.

For instance, "Carthago Delendum Est" means "Carthage must be destroyed," and was uttered as the last words of every speech Cato the Elder gave as he urged his fellow Romans towards war on the rising power of Carthage...which he eventually got.

So, given your musical tastes, how about "Corporate Rock Delendum Est?" :D

I think it was "Cartago delenda est" if my memory does not fail me, it should be a feminine.
Not necessarily tied to art, but an old favourite of mine: Horace's (if i remember right) "pulvis et umbra sumus", meaning "dust and shadows, we are". Speaking of men, of course.

Remove ads