• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need an old module to run this weekend

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
grodog said:
You might also consider some modules from Dragon or Dungeon, since they're generally smaller than the 32 page titles and you'll be more likely to complete them in your time allotment.

In general, you should be able to run one level/round from any of the original tourney adventures (or modules run at tourneys) since each round/level was (in theory) completable within four hours: A1-4, C1-2, D1-2, G1-3, I1, R1-4, S1-4. Of those, A4 definitely stands out, although I'm very partial to either round in A1, the dungeon level in G1, all of G3, and S4 as well :D

I was with you until S4: Lost caverns of tsojcanth. That thing is big, with open ended portions (ie gates to other planes, surounding wilderness) that make it bigger. It is also a great, must play if you play classic modules, module, but not a one shot. (its sister module, WG4, you might be able to do, maybe with slightly better charecters that can smash through the early defenders more easily, leaving time for the weirdness below. It would be tight).

One of the As, or one of the Gs, or something from Dragon or early Dungeon all would seem to be good. And I think that the As and Gs come with the pregens (as do the Ds).

T. Foster

First Post
TerraDave said:
I was with you until S4: Lost caverns of tsojcanth. That thing is big, with open ended portions (ie gates to other planes, surounding wilderness) that make it bigger. It is also a great, must play if you play classic modules, module, but not a one shot. (its sister module, WG4, you might be able to do, maybe with slightly better charecters that can smash through the early defenders more easily, leaving time for the weirdness below. It would be tight).

One of the As, or one of the Gs, or something from Dragon or early Dungeon all would seem to be good. And I think that the As and Gs come with the pregens (as do the Ds).
Leaving out the wilderness portion entirely, the dungeon section of S4 was originally designed and run as a two-round tournament at Wintercon V in 1976: the Lesser Caverns as Round 1, the Greater Caverns as Round 2.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
76?? The module came with a booklet of "new stuff" (new at the time). Was that all available then?

That, and running through that thing in two rounds, makes it all the more mind blowing.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ok, with some more research:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/s4.html

There is the early module, one of the first, then the one released in 82, which was much expanded (from 8 to 64 pages).

However, from the cover of the original, it notes "several rare and prized tomes and the fabled lamp known as Daoud's Wonderous Lanthorn". The cover also has some early refs to Oerth geography.

Given that one of the tomes is the Demonicon of Igwiz...that is key stuff.

I have no idea what the implications are for running it as a one shot. :)

T. Foster

First Post
TerraDave said:
76?? The module came with a booklet of "new stuff" (new at the time). Was that all available then?

That, and running through that thing in two rounds, makes it all the more mind blowing.
The new monsters from S4 weren't in the 1976 version; there were different monsters that were "new" at the time (like water weirds, troglodytes, and otyughs) but were later included in the AD&D MM, so the idea was the same (a dungeon full of crazy new monsters) but the specifics were different. Daoud's Wondrous Lanthorn is in the 1976 version and the description is almost exactly the same. The Demonomicon of Iggwilv (and the new spells introduced within it) is not in the 1976 version.

EDIT: the 1976 version was 8 looseleaf sheets but 16 pages; the print is smaller, the descriptions sparser, and some sections (all of the wilderness, most of the 2nd booklet) are missing, but the actual dungeon itself is comparable in both versions -- I don't have them handy to check but I'm fairly sure the dungeon maps are exactly the same in both versions.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Grodog, that page may be really cool, but I started looking at that, (I like the "Chinese Hill Giants" and the whole displacer beast blink dog thing), then I started looking at the Castle Greyhak links...

...I don't have all day here, I have got to get back to work! :D

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
OK, based on the suggestions here, I'm going to run A1 in tournament style.

I decided on this one because I have a copy of "Smackdown the Slavers" for HackMaster in addition to A1. I also have an old conversion to third edition that was on this site years ago.

Was A1 updated for the silver anniversary box set?

Mycanid

First Post
Excellent choice wheeler!

I wish I could have shoved my oar in earlier, I woulda voted for A4 personally ... ah well. A1 is a good simple dungeon crawl adventure. I remember going through it playing "Ogre" ... what fun!

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Mycanid said:
Excellent choice wheeler!

I wish I could have shoved my oar in earlier, I woulda voted for A4 personally ... ah well. A1 is a good simple dungeon crawl adventure. I remember going through it playing "Ogre" ... what fun!

Well, if they like it, we'll go all the way through A4. I might as well get my money's worth out of these modules. :)

Remove ads