D&D 5E I need help to make a compass using Wish

R_J_K75

Legend
I did my best and It still "killed" me, I'm now inside the compass, It works at least, not for all things but do. Now I need a new character.

No matter how trivial the request was or how well worded the wish was, in all my years of gaming I've never seen a DM not try and screw a player who uses one. Id love to hear how you ended up inside the compass. Is it the reverse wish, instead of you having the compass now the compass has you?

Maestrino

Explorer
Heh. I mean, it says right in the spell description, unless you're using Wish to replicate an 8th-level or lower spell, or creating one of a short list of specified effects, "The GM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong."

ccs

41st lv DM
No matter how trivial the request was or how well worded the wish was, in all my years of gaming I've never seen a DM not try and screw a player who uses one.

I dont. Or at least I try not to.
See I LIKE magic like this. So if your being reward by finding a Wish (s)? I intend for you to use/enjoy it. I want to see what you'll do with it. If I didnt? Then you wouldn't have received it.
And I don't have any patience with what most consider "a carefully worded wish"

So my istructions to my players on Wishes are: Don't over think it. Yes, make sure i know what you want. (In the case of the OPS compass we'd discuss it so that we're imagining g the same thing). Then Just Wish for what you want in good faith & I'll respond in kind.
The more complex you make it trying to "properly" word it? The further astray things WILL go....
Do not make me parse some legalize looking document....
I've had two players over the years get it.
They wished, they were rewarded.
The rest have tried all manner of wording games to game the system, screw proof themselves, etc. Well, since they've clearly indicated that they want to play with Wishes that'll screw them.... ok.

Now if you come across a Wish during an adventure & it doesn't appear to be a reward, but more a plot point, then you should be more wary. Although any twists attached will most likely be to propel the story in some way.

R_J_K75

Legend
See I LIKE magic like this. So if your being reward by finding a Wish (s)? I intend for you to use/enjoy it. I want to see what you'll do with it. If I didnt? Then you wouldn't have received it.

So my istructions to my players on Wishes are: Don't over think it. Yes, make sure i know what you want. (In the case of the OPS compass we'd discuss it so that we're imagining g the same thing). Then Just Wish for what you want in good faith & I'll respond in kind.
The more complex you make it trying to "properly" word it? The further astray things WILL go....
Do not make me parse some legalize looking document....
I've had two players over the years get it.
They wished, they were rewarded.
The rest have tried all manner of wording games to game the system, screw proof themselves, etc. Well, since they've clearly indicated that they want to play with Wishes that'll screw them.... ok.

Now if you come across a Wish during an adventure & it doesn't appear to be a reward, but more a plot point, then you should be more wary. Although any twists attached will most likely be to propel the story in some way.

I couldnt have put it better. This is generally how I handle it as long the players are acting in good faith, as you put it. Im the same as you Im always curious what theyll do with it, they may not get exactly what they wish for but I dont screw them either although their wish may have unforseen ramifications on the world in some minor way. Id almost go as far to say that a spell that powerful might even have a uilt in contingency so things dont get too out of hand or whatever god whose presiding over magic might have the final say.

Just irked me when I saw DMs go to great pains to make a wish spell a big production.

Dausuul

Legend
Agreed. Wish in good faith, and I may not give you 100% of what you want, but you won't get screwed. Try to wish-lawyer me, however, and I will wish-lawyer you right back, and you really can't win a contest of lawyering when your opponent is the judge.

Remove ads