• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I need to increase my strength with a wish, what should i say?

feartheminotaur

First Post
"I wish for a million hit points and unlimited Charisma!"

Seriously though, I sympathize with both sides.

For the DM: As mentioned, twisting a wish has a long and storied tradition dating back to...well, a long time. Longer than any of us have been around. Plus, the wording of the spell even says "the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood something goes wrong". So, for a DM to construe "I want to be stronger!" as vaguely as that is stated isn't really out of line with history, literature, or the text of the spell. After all, 'be careful what you wish for', right? Additionally, I understand a DM not wanting to be wish-carte-blanche = I've seen some annoying meta-wishes "I wish I would never run out of spell slots!" or "I wish I had every feat in the game" (I heard both these).

But, as a player, assuming this was a PC casting, a paid for NPC casting, or a reward, and not a tricksy Djinni, yeah, having that backfire sucks. Having DM say "You want to be stronger? OK. Your strength is 3 as per the spell text, so now...it's a 4! Bwahahahahaha!"? Yeah, I wouldn't like that one bit. A reasonable wish should be resepected. As a player I'd be pretty up front, as @771M suggests, about what I expected from the wish.

And that's really it, the DM and player need to communicate, out of the game, to find a nice common ground. Maybe the DM wants to be a jerk about it, heck, maybe the player wants to be a jerk about it ("Well, wish can overcome the cap! So, 50 Strength or I'm leaving the table!").

But both sides should find a way for the wish to be reasonable in request and result. After all, you're both playing the game. For the DM to say "You want to be stronger? OK. Your 10 is now an 12!" seems in line with the spell, demanding that it go from 10 to 50 seems like the kind of greater wish, greater likelihood something goes wrong situation.

G

Guest 6801328

he'd take his character and go immediately to find the equivalent of an attorney. Then spend the next month in-game working with that attorney to draft up the language of the Wish such that all screw-over "loopholes" would be covered and closed.

Greatest idea for an NPC I've ever seen.

An attorney (probably a gnome) who specializes in drafting Wishes.

I'd use him for something unrelated (at least directly) to his specialty, i.e. he's gotten into some trouble because of his peculiar line of work, and needs some heroes to help him.

It's just such a uniquely fantasy-world career I want to use it somehow.

G

Guest 6801328

Would it be that convoluted to say, "I wish my strength rivaled an adult minotaur."

If that somehow gets twisted into becoming a minotaur I'd call shenanigans.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

"Peeeeeeewwww! Does anybody else smell a bull?"

I'd just keep things simple while also trying to avoid being greedy, so there's less encouragement to find a loophole. If lower level "I wish for physical might and strength comparable to an ogre" works, while hill giant works for mid-level.

By specifying it reminds the DM you could go for cloud giant, but aren't, so there's less incentive to break out the DM fiat to keep things in check. And it's comparable to what a character could get without magic.

discosoc

First Post
I humbly request an explanation of that line of thinking.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If a GM fundamentally changes a character like that without the player's consent, he's just asking for drama. Yes, some groups/players can do that and have a blast. But not many.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If the wishes keep getting corrupted, then don't make a wish. That would seem like the wise thing to do.

A wish is a once per day spell. If it can regularly give permanent buff effects without a downside then the dm is doing something wrong.

Remove ads