• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I need to increase my strength with a wish, what should i say?

Thateous

Explorer
I'd would be careful of referencing a monster ("I wish for the strength of a giant" - *poof* now you are a giant).

Would it be that convoluted to say, "I wish my strength rivaled an adult minotaur."

If that somehow gets twisted into becoming a minotaur I'd call shenanigans.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Agamon

Adventurer
What's the game like? Is it a long campaign or a one-shot? Is magic rare or are wishes like fishes? Does it involve a lot of comedy or is it serious?

If this is a long, serious, campaign where a wish isn't something you see every day, then the DM is being a jerk if you don't get what you ask for, assuming you don't ask for more than you should (which should be discussed about ahead of time).

Otherwise, playing the player vs DM wish game could be fun. I recommend hiring a lawyer. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Your friends' an idiot. That hypothetical wish lawyer he finds? Guess what? It's played by the same hypothetical DM that's screwing with the wish. Wanna bet how that lawyering turns out for him?

No he's not. Because then the player just says to the DM out of game "You're intentionally not playing fair just to be a jerk. If that's the way you want to play, then I don't trust you as a fair arbiter of this game or as a DM and I quit."

The DM then has to decide what's more important to him... having the player in the game or getting his jollies off trying to be cutsie. Thankfully... he and I have never played with a DM who cared about getting their rocks off screwing with players out of game more than just playing the game as it was meant to be played.

seebs

Adventurer
Yes, but that's different than going to an in-game attorney. Going to an in-game attorney to solve the dispute over wording would be idiotic. Because if he doesn't trust the DM with the wording, why would he trust the DM with the in-game attorney's work product?

Any dispute with a DM can be "solved" by walking away from the table.

I think the distinction is that the DM is probably running the wish spell as innately-adversarial, because a lot of DMs do that, whereas the lawyer has different motives.

Compare with "if this orc, run by the DM, is trying to kill me, why would I trust mercenaries I hire?" Well, because the mercenaries aren't the orc.

discosoc

First Post
Just ask your GM if he'll try and dick around with your wish spell or not. I know it was common, and actually expected, for wish spells to go awry, but they were also much more powerful and a campaign rarely saw more than one ever cast (and usually that was from a luck blade). I'd much rather know up front if he's going to do that, and not bother with the spell at all, than have some stupid setback take place purely for the enjoyment of the GM.

discosoc

First Post
Would it be that convoluted to say, "I wish my strength rivaled an adult minotaur."

If that somehow gets twisted into becoming a minotaur I'd call shenanigans.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

At which point the player starts rampaging/suiciding into the nearest named NPC and then walks out.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Just tell your DM that you don't want this wish to screw you over because that's not fun for you, and ask him what sort of wish is reasonable enough that it won't cause major problems. Some players like making a "risky" wish as a prelude to an adventure; explain to the DM that you're not one of them, and if the wish is going to backfire, you'd rather just skip it.

Remove ads